[macvoiceover] How do I...totally switch to the Mac?

  • From: "Sara" <push649@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 15:04:35 -0500

Hi all.
For off topic reasons I have not been happy with Windows lately. I think this
is a sign that I should just switch to the Mac.
Here are a couple of my difficulties in switching:
1. I have trouble understanding Alex. I am so used to the elloquence speech. Is
there any way I can get something that sounds like elloquence for the Mac
without putting Windows on it?
2. I am attached to outlook express. Would something like thunder bird run on a
Mac or something else? I had a terrible time trying to get mail to access my
email and I know the info is right because I just set it up in OE the other
day. I might call my ISP for help with Mac set up of email but I am not sure if
they'll help or not; time will tell.
3. I have a major assignment due in about a week or so and I have to read a ton
of stuff and don't know if VO is good at reading long documents? Can I read
line by line with my braille display?
4. What program should I use for my assignment? I need to write a paper and it
has to be a word file. I understand that open office is getting there but can I
trust this beta software with my important files and will it be able to do page
numbering and all that sort of stuff that one does when writing a paper? Should
I just use text edit?
5. How do I find out what is open? Somebody with a functioning pair of eyes
told me that there are sometimes a couple windows on top of each other like in
the finder but I only see one. How do I find out what's open if a program has
multiple windows that don't show in command tab order?
6. Does time machine work with VO?

Ok, I'll leave it at that; don't wanna overload the list with questions...oh,
and audio too is an issue but I might leave that...basically I want to record
and edit podcasts...meaning delete parts that sound silly and rerecord them and
insert them at the right spot...also delete clicking sounds from keyboard and
extra silence.
Ok, I'm really gone now. wink
Sara