[macvoiceover] Re: Greg Kearney, ABWA and DAISY Bookworm at NFB convention

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:28:32 -0400

Yikes, no thanks. That's a pain. Can do it, but don't care to.

It is easy for an app to include an integrated browser. Anything tha you
download with that browser can be accessed by the app, since the download goes
in to its sandbox.

So, they should let you connect to NLS, Bookshare, etc, and download directly
from there. Of course, they'd need to include a framework to decompress zip
files, and maybe they don't want to pay for that. Don't know.

What I do know is that requiring lots of round about steps, like uploading
files to an FTP server, will put off most people to the idea. Imagine
explaining to someone "yeh, all you do is download the book from your library,
uncompress it, upload it to an FTP server, download it to your phone, and then
you're ready to go." Besides the geekery, it's time consuming.

Bryan