[macvoiceover] GarageBand and the cycle region

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 00:34:06 -0400

I figured out how this works today. Keith, you might want to add this to your
guide.

Anyway, if you turn on cycle, then the cycle region will appear as a layout
item, just like the other regions. However, it isn't located with the other
regions. In the timeline, interact with the ruler at the top. If cycle is on,
besides the play head and song length indicators, there will also be a region
layout item representing the cycle region. You can move and size it just like
other regions. In that way, it is possible to, for example, move it to bar 9,
expand it to 16 bars, and be able to overdub in to a 16 bar loop when you press
record.

This is pretty cool. We can now record in to exact locations of the song.

You can also select an existing region's time this way, and overdub additional
takes in to it. It isn't MIDI event editing, but, together with the region
editing approaches, is enough to handle essential editing tasks.

I made a song with GB today. Not a put loops together thing, but a sequenced
job. Was actually pretty cool that I could use GB like a sequencer.

Of course, after several demo projects, I'm sad to say that I'm already
starting to be annoyed with the limitations. That's sad, right? I think GB is a
great scratch pad and small scale editing tool, but you can't dream big with
it. I was trying to mix. I knew that I only had two system buses for shared
effects. I didn't realized that they were fixed on reverb and echo, though.
Reverb, yeh, but the second one should be reassignable to chorus, flanger, or
something. And the echo is a simple one line stereo echo. You can't do ping
pong or independent left/right lines with it. Once I turned up the global
reverb, I also noticed how metallic it sounds. Logic has so much better, which
is the point, I guess. *shrug* I discovered that we can only select EQ presets,
not setup the EQ bands ourselves (though I did get this working on my control
surface in a hackish sort of way that I can't imagine doing regularly).

Also, I thought that there were new amp models in GB6, but, in the ampsim
effects plug in, I just see the ones that have been their forever. Are they in
a separate plug?

I really hope that Apple is cooking up something similar for Logic.

Bryan