[macvoiceover] Re: Garage Band 6.0.5 Tracks & Regions

  • From: Tuscia Falconer <tusciafalconer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 14:58:45 +1300

In this context 'grouping' means those tracks you wish to combine together into
a new track.
For example you might want to group all the Bass tracks together to export them
all into one new track. So go to each of those tracks and click solo, either in
the track header or more simply press the letter s. Now all the Bass tracks
will be combined into one new track which in the new project can be treated
together with the same effect etc.

TF

On 3/11/2015, at 2:38 PM, CJ Daniel <cj_daniel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Tuscia,

Can I ask what you mean by grouping?

CJ

On Nov 2, 2015, at 12:29 PM, Tuscia Falconer <tusciafalconer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Note; Audio uses less processor than midi/software tracks.
My suggestion, as it is so easy in GB6, is to export to an aiff file, then
bring that back into the project, removing the previous tracks, tidying up
the page.
I would group the tracks such as drums, bass, guitar etc.
then solo each group of tracks, such as all the bass tracks and do an
export, naming it Bass.
Make a project folder into which you save everything, including the project
before you do these exports, so you can go back if you find you need to make
a change.
Then solo the drums and do an export.
Once you have exported all your groupings, make sure you have saved a copy
of the project at this point, then you can delete all the tracks and import
the new exported tracks, now you have two or three instead of twenty.
This makes it a lot simpler to add an effect to all the drum tracks, now
that it is only one track.

Before exporting, you need to make sure the pan and volume settings are
correct, the export will Normalise the volume and come in again at 70%
with a percussion track you can position the pan whereever you want and set
the volumes as you like, they will stay that way in the exported track.

Note; export to disc.
This is much simpler than trying to join tracks.

The reason I keep a version of the project before making a new one is that
it is possible that much later you may wish to change something which is
easier to do when you have twenty tracks than when they are all merged into
one.

You can even take audio tracks from GB10 and import them into GB6 so long as
the tempo is the same.
This is pretty much the same as I said in a previous post, which was more
about moving between GB versions than simply tidying up one version.

Check it out, easy to revert.

TF

On 3/11/2015, at 7:40 AM, CJ Daniel <cj_daniel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi All,

Well, I’m forging ahead in GB 6.0.5. I’ve laid down the drums, percussion,
& bass tracks for my verse & chorus, using loops. Before I copy & paste
all of the regions, again, to fill out the succeeding verses & choruses, I
have a question. To me, it seems very cluttered to have all of these
regions, let alone a track for every part. I know I asked this question
for GB 10, but is there anyway to clean up this project before I proceed?
I.E. can I join regions in this version? And if not, can I merge tracks?
Lastly, I know I can rename regions, but can I rename tracks?

Also, just for the record, I’ve tried selecting non-contiguous items in the
prescribed Yosemite way & it doesn’t work @ all. Any thoughts here. Once
again, thanks in advance for any suggestions &/or help.

Cheers,

CJ