[macvoiceover] Re: Fwd: mac mini without monitor and set up

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 04:57:59 -0400

A tv will not sub for a monitor.

On Jul 27, 2009, at 8:01 PM, Marie Howarth wrote:

Macvisionaries say the newer minis may not work with the adapters and that it is possible to set up independently. I already have a keyboard that I use with my macbook for the numpad controller. a mouse isn't going to cost much and I'm curious if the monitor issue can be resolved with a television? I'd love an Imac, just the cost factor that's making me edge toward a mini right now.

On Jul 28, 2009, at 12:48 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

you had to have someone hit the start voice over assistant? this is unusual because when ever I have encountered a mac the first time it runs, the first thing it does is ask if you want assistancesetting up your mac in a pleasant male voice and it tells you what to do if you are visually impaired.

as far as the mac mini goes, what does mac visionaries have to say about it? Also, Why not get an imac? they are pretty and much more user serviceable if you are inclined to do that sort of thing. also, you will definitely want speakers for your mini and then there is the keyboard issue. What keyboard will you use? you will also want a mouse and even though you don't absolutely have to have a monitor in most instances, I have heard that tthere are some apps that won't run without it.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Marie Howarth <marie.jane2005@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: July 28, 2009 12:02:50 AM BST
To: macvisionaries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: mac mini without monitor and set up

Hey,
I already have a macbook and I'm thinking of getting a mac mini. I know if you don't have the monitor you need the adapter to make the mini think there is one to prevent sluggish behaviour. My question is, how would you set up the mac independently without sighted assistance? I had to have someone hit the start voice over assistive set up thing on my mac book when I got it. but if you don't have a monitor, can this be achieved some way? I've never reinstalled my leopard yet, although I understand it can be done. simply, can I set up my mac mini without sighted assistance?
thanks Marie