[macvoiceover] Fwd: Vo-bs post from icambra@xxxxxxxxxxxx requires approval

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:35:28 -0400

Hi,

I set up the vo-bs mailing list so we could take non-VO ideas off of this list and onto a list where bs'ing is encouraged. When the list changes, so must the list members move to it. One must first subscribe to the newer list before posting to it - otherwise I get annoying messages like the one below.

cdh

.

From: vo-bs-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: June 11, 2009 6:43:07 AM EDT
To: vo-bs-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Vo-bs post from icambra@xxxxxxxxxxxx requires approval

following mailing list posting:

   List:    Vo-bs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   From:    icambra@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   Subject: Re: [Vo-bs] iPhone Story

At your convenience, visit:

   http://lists.hofstader.com/admindb.cgi/vo-bs-hofstader.com

to approve or deny the request.

From: Ignasi Cambra <icambra@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: June 11, 2009 6:43:01 AM EDT
To: "A place where VoiceOver nerds can discuss almost anything they want." <vo-bs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I just think that given how much Apple cares about their products being easy to use, using VO on the iPhone can't be that hard at all. Just the concept of using a touch screen is new for all of us, but I'm sure they have tested it enough to know that it's not hard to use. If not they wouldn't have released it.
On Jun 11, 2009, at 5:45 AM, Marie Howarth wrote:

I totally agree. I shall be grabbing mine as soon as possible. I think it will be slower for most users to begin with, it's a completely new way for most Visually impaired people. So it's obvious to me that it will take some getting used too. But hey, nothing attempted only means no one will ever know if it works well or not.

On Jun 11, 2009, at 9:50 AM, Krister Ekstrom wrote:

I will go grab an Iphone as soon as i can afford it and as soon as it's released here in Sweden. Since this will be later than in the U.S i will be able to hear how things are going for those who have grabbed their iphones. I too have a Nokia phone, but i'm ready to make the switch. I can't figure out how working with a touch screen is going to be, if it will be slower or faster or equal, if it's going to be hard or not, but i'll try regardless. Plus i will go grab an iphone for another reason too. I will grab the Iphone because i want to support a company that cares about accessibility of mainstream devices, and who has shown that they do time and time again. Such companies should be supported imho.
/Krister

11 jun 2009 kl. 05.30 skrev Sara:

Hey thanks for that story! Also glad you brought iPhone to this list as I want to just talk without worrying about topics. lol Is everybody grabbing on on June 19? I am skeptical of touchscreens and not sure I will be able to type or scroll or read on one so I think I will stick to my Nokia phone for now. I'm really glad Apple is doing this and maybe when it has been around longer I will get one but it's too soon for me I think and plus I'm lovin' my Nokia phone. I wish somebody would time a blind person typing a text message on a Nokia phone with Talks vs. an iPhone with the touch keyboard and see who's faster with predictive text off!
Sara
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > To: "A place where VoiceOver nerds can discuss almost anything they want." <vo-bs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:40 PM
Subject: [Vo-bs] iPhone Story

My favorite iPhone story happened this past January when Susan, my lovely wife of 22 years and 11 days, a couple of our Indian friends and I were walking through a palace built by the Lodi dynasty in the twelfth century. The palace is in a really lovely park in New Delhi.

I asked our friends about the Lodi dynasty and they knew nothing. So, my friend Manu produced his iPhone and looked up the dynasty and even the palace we were walking through. Mixing twenty first century technology with the physical reality of the 1300s was a really awe striking feeling. While we can touch the beautifully carved walls and pillars built and carved by some long ago forgotten artisans who couldn't possibly envision our lives, similarly, we couldn't imagine life as royalty seven hundred years earlier. The iPhone help us, albeit in a very small way, have some level of greater understanding of that time in central Indian history.

I've been working making software as a hobbyist since 1971 and professionally since 1979 and, in those few moments in that beautiful day, surrounded by people I love, lots of pretty plants and flowers and a nice old man who sold us cups of tea for less than twenty five cents per cup with the iPhone giving us some historical details - wrapped all of the dreams I've ever had of computing into one event.,
On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Buddy Brannan wrote:

Don't worry about them. Yes, even at unsubsidized pricing, an iPhone may well be cheaper than a Windows Mobile or Simbian phone with a screen reader. But some people won't listen. So here's what you do:

1) When you're able to do so, take the plunge. Whether that's June 19th or whether that's later isn't important. Just in the meantime, smile to yourself, chuckle at your friends' shortsightedness (figuratively speaking), and bide your time.

2) Learn to use your iPhone. Get comfortable with the interface by using it. Make yourself use it. If, after you've given it the ol' college try, you've found you really don't like it, that's OK. You're allowed to say so and move on. Yay for options! But, if you find that you're getting on well with it and like using it and find it's accessible, not to mention that it has real possibilities, then

3) Have a good laugh at your friends' expense. Use your spiffy mainstream phone with no blindy software needed. Take every possible opportunity to use it in their presence. Enjoy your iPhone. If they still don't get it, smile to yourself, chuckle at their shortsightedness, and shake your head in disbelief. Then leave them to their special blindy software that costs as much as or more than the phone with a subsidized contract. If, on the other hand, they have seen the error of their ways, gleefully shout "I told you so", do a little dance, and then welcome them happily to the new and changing world of accessible tech. Wahoo!

From: vo-bs-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: June 11, 2009 6:43:07 AM EDT
Subject: confirm 4b4bffae116669d88e7d77658993e5ba3de16139

of the body of the reply.