[macvoiceover] Re: Fwd: Update on radio streams in playlists

  • From: "John W. Hess" <johnythehess@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 19:36:54 -0400

wow, nice! excellent... Didn't
On Apr 16, 2007, at 4:51 PM, Ron J. wrote:

Hi all!

The lack of a contextual menu for radio streams is either a bug, or Apple didn't see the need, as one would, for example, not shuffle streams, as that's technically impossible, in a playlist. The only reason for putting multiple streams on a playlist, would be for convenience - this way, one doesn't have to select them, each and every time, one wants to listen to a particular stream.

The only thing that argues, in favor of the lack of a menu being a bug, is that my sighted roommate can "click & drag" streams to the playlist of his choice.

If it is a bug, perhaps it was introduced, in the process of making iTunes accessible for us.

Regards,

Ron

Begin forwarded message:

From: Esther <moriond@xxxxxxx>
Date: April 16, 2007 4:07:27 PM EDT
To: Keith Reedy <keithreedy@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "John W. Hess" <johnythehess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Update on radio streams in playlists

Hi,

Looks like the posted link to Lou's solution had an extra space in the URL, so here's the full description. This was along the lines of Ron J.'s description, but gives additional details about adding to playlist. (Sorry, I thought the link would work by itself), Title of the thread was "Contextual Menus and iTunes" and post was on March 16, 2007 (should be enough to find/read the discussion at the
Macvisionary discuss lists even if the links get munged)

Hello!

I personally believe that it is a bug that Radio Streams do not
have contextual menus. Playlists can contain radio streams. But,
how do you add them to a playlist? Here is my workaround.
1. Select the radio stream(s) that you want in a playlist.
Selecting multiple items (by "disabling cursor tracking" with vo
+shift+f3, then "shift-clicking" with vo+shift+space bar on each
item you want in the playlist) will work the best, so select as
many as you can. Don't forget to "enable cursor tracking" once you
are done making your selections by pressing vo+shift+f3 again.

2. To create a playlist from the items selected, go to the File
menu and select "New Playlist from Selection
" or press command-shift-N.  Type in the name you want to give the
playlist, (lets say "Favorite Radio Streams) and press the return key.

Now you are done... Unless you want to add more radio streams to
your "Favorite Radio Streams" playlist. This is the tricky part.

3. Select the radio stream(s) that you want to add to your
"Favorite Radio Streams" playlist. As before, it will be better if
you select as many as possible at once.

4. Since there is no contextual menu to add to an existing
playlist, you will have to create a "dummy" playlist by going to
the File menu and selecting "New Playlist from Selection" or
pressing command-shift-N. Assign it a temporary name (like temp or
1 or something) and press Return.

Now, you have to get the items from the "temp" playlist you just
created into your "Favorite Radio Streams" playlist. Fortunately,
you have contextual menus to help.
5. Select the temp playlist you just created in the "Source" panel.
Go to the "Songs" panel and "Select All" with a Command-A.

6. Open the contextual menu with vo+shift+M, then select the
"Favorite Radio Streams" playlist from the "Add to Playlist" submenu.

Don't forget to go back to the "Sources" pane and delete the "temp"
playlist.

Lou.

Cheers,

Esther

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover

Ron Johnson | AKA Ganahee

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals. Then something happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".

Users can subscribe to this list by sending email to macvoiceover- request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the Webinterface at //www.freelists.org/list/macvoiceover

Sincerely:
John W. Hess