[macvoiceover] Re: Fwd: Microsoft office 2008 for macintosh. please read this

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 18:47:42 -0700

The notion that we should have to now beg Microsoft to do what they should have done from the beginning, indeed to do what they told several of us they were doing only to discover they were not following through on their word, is troubling to me.

Let's get a few point right here. This is Microsoft we're talking about. The biggest software maker in the world. A company that makes very public professions of support for accessibility. A company with practically unlimited resources both in terms of money and programming talent.

They had access to VoiceOver, they had access to the publicly published accessibility guidelines. They had access at no cost to the Xcode development environment. Like every other developer they were given clear and unambiguous instructions on how to write their software to meet the requirements of the MacOS. How is it that a lone developer in Germany is able to produce an accessible spreadsheet in a matter of two months time and Microsoft is not?

They were contacted on many occasions by myself and others about accessibility issues, contacts which they clearly paid no head too.

Now when we complain about this oversight, when we suggest that their deeds do not match their words we are told to go on bended knee and plead for them to fix what never should have been broken to start with. Give me a break!

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-224-4022
gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Jan 22, 2008, at 6:32 PM, David Poehlman wrote:

Microsoft has been shamming the assistive technology community for years and throwing money around like it's watter to underline their point but at the end of the day, how much of microsoft is really accessible and how much of it is accessible because the little guys sweatted bullets and hacked into
software and operating systems to make it happen.