[macvoiceover] Re: Fw: Article on Firefox and VoiceOver

  • From: Travis Siegel <windowbridge@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:17:50 -0500

All of the source for darwin was updated when leopard came out, and as far as I know, it's still up to date. Apple appears to have darwin updates on the back burner, but they do get posted, and ast time I checked, it was current up to 10.5.2 (if I remember correctly) Of course, due to the lack of support of screen readers, I've not tried installing open darwin on a machine, though if I manage to get either a mac with a serial port, or a braille display with a usb port, I may attempt open darwin using brltty and/or yasr).

On Aug 21, 2008, at 5:40 PM, Jacob Schmude wrote:

Hi
As I understand it, while most of the core Darwin classes are available as open source, there is quite a bit that is not. Remember that Darwin is just the kernel and base system, it doesn't include Aqua, Cocoa, or any of that. As for Opendarwin, hasn't it been defunct for a while, with Macports being the only real part of Opendarwin still being maintained? I stand corrected, this is just as I understand the situation. I may very well be wrong. As for a third-party screen reader for OS X, given that most of the actual GUI internals are proprietary, I doubt it could currently be done without a little cooperation with Apple. My understanding was that it took so long for us to get access to OS X because Apple kept most of the internals secret, in addition to not having the Cocoa accessibility infrastructure. I do agree that Mozilla needs to be applauded for its accessibility efforts. They really have come a long way--compare Firefox accessibility on UNIX a year ago to what it is now and you'll see just how far they have come.