[macvoiceover] Don't shoot the messanger

  • From: MaryLee Perkins <marylee925@xxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 14:43:40 -0600

Most web mail pages are a royal pain for screen reader use. Just getting signed in can be a problem. Comcast is possibly the worst I've come across. The people who write the pages have, for the most part, never thought about how a person would use the page if they heard and didn't see the page. When I taught a class in Microsoft Front Page, my students had never heard about alt tags until I explained why they were important for a screen reader user. I just finished a web site for my brother's business www.scootersaroundtown.com, but I didn't write the page, I used a template that Godaddy provided. When I went to check the site with VO, I couldn't read the text that I know is there. The template put in things that I never intended, and I have no control over this. The result is a site that is only partly accessible. I made sure that all the graphics had alt tags, and I tried to leave out any fancy stuff, but... What I think Yahoo is doing is to leave all the fancy glitz for the average folks, and make the classic mail page much more screen reader friendly. I agree that they should have done that in the first place, but let's not nock them for doing it now.

MLP