[macvoiceover] Re: Disk Recovery App

  • From: Jeff Kisecker <kisecker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 22:03:35 -0500

Hi:

thank you for your input and questions. I have tried everything I can, I think
the disk is dead in the water . I have a friend that is going to try to get
access to it, but it won't mount at all no way no how.

Again, thanks for your help.

On Sep 6, 2015, at 2:04 PM, Cheryl Homiak <cah4110@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

if you can see it in disk utility, will it run repair disk or repair disk
permissions? Also, here are two which probably are ones you've already done
but I'm just covering the bases. Have you shut your computer down, unplugged
the drive if it has a power connection and unplugged its usb connection,
replugged these and started again - if so, you're probably reading this and
thinking: "Well yeah, would you like to know how many times?" ? Since you've
been using this disk my final question probably is really superfluous but are
you sure your finder prefs are set to see external disks? I apologize for
asking things as if you haven't attended to the basics, but sometimes people
just don't ask these things and so the right answer is never given.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You, Lord,
my rock and my Redeemer.
(Psalm 19:14 HCSB)

On Sep 6, 2015, at 11:01 AM, John Panarese <jpanarese@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you can see it in Disk Utility, can you see the disk info on the disk
itself. When you have it selected, press command-i and see what that output
tells you. Also, can you try the disk with any other systems to see if it
can be mounted? If not, there is Data Rescue 3 as a last alternative.

Take Care

John D. Panarese
Director
Mac for the Blind
Tel, (631) 724-4479
Email, john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Website, http://www.macfortheblind.com

APPLE CERTIFIED SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL and Trainer

On Sep 6, 2015, at 11:07 AM, Jeff Kisecker <kisecker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi:

I have an external hard drive for my backups. My mac won't recognize it in
the finder, but in disk utilities it sees it. Is there a free or low cost
disk recovery app I can get to recover some of the data from the drive so I
can erase it and keep moving forward? I have a number of photos and
archived documents I need to get off of the drive.

Thanks for any help, frustrated.