[macvoiceover] Re: Designing web pages for screen readers

  • From: The BlindTechs Network <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:38:42 -0700

you must be blind or have been all your life because some times its on the side, and visually does look good. excpet screen readers present it as if it was on the top because it is the first amount of content but infact with a table of contents on the side, and the main content on the left looks nice.

The BlindTechs Network
www.theblindtechsnetwork.com
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
623-565-9357 (west phoenix Arizona)
480-297-7569 (East Phoenix Arizona)
562-219-2309 (Los Angeles California)

On Jan 30, 2008, at 3:15 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:

Greg,

I agree. In my own websites I usually have only a link back to the home
page at the top. That way a person can get back to a table of contents
and doesn't have to wade through a lot of junk. I can't understand why
web designers think they have to put all that stuff at the top of every
page. they seem to think that because they can they must.

John

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 01:19:13PM -0700, Greg Kearney wrote:
I have been designing and programming the webpages of Curtin
University Centre for Accessible Technology (www.cucat.org) and it
doing so have collected a few thoughts about accessible web pages.

Along with as the usual things like alt tags and high contrast of
type. It occurred to me from my own use and that of my blind wife that
many pages require the screen reader, and sighted users as well, to
navigate through a whole range of site navigation links before ever
getting to the content of the site.

In the CUCAT site I have attempted to deal with this by placing the
navigation links at the bottom of the page so that when you land on a
page you reach that pages content. In the event of a very long page
where the navigation would be at the bottom I will have a single link
which will take the reader to the navigation links.

It would seem to me that this approach would be better for pages
intended to be read by screen readers, as well as by the sighted
rather than have all the visual and auditory distraction of complex
headers at the top of the page to navigate through before reaching the
true content of the page.

Also I feel the content of the page read in an uninterrupted flow
without breaking to offer other services or information.

As a general design rule I feel that webpages have become much to
complex and busy. This applies to the sighted as well as the blind.
Would you want a book in which the text flashed, moved or in some
other way animated the pages? Would you want a book in which bight
coloured text, unrelated to what you were reading littered the sides
of the main content area? The answer is, no, of course not but that is
often what we are getting from modern website design. There seems to
be of late the approach the because we can do something on a page we
should.

Just some thoughts to think about.

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-224-4022
gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

John J. boyer; President, Chief Software Developer
JJB Software, Inc.
http://www.jjb-software.com
Madison, WI USA