[macvoiceover] Re: Deleting Podcasts in Itunes

  • From: Laura <laura.mcg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 20:06:50 +0100

Okay. This is how I understand it. You have all the music stored on your drive.
Your iTunes library is really just like a collection of links pointing to where
those files are. So when you choose a song to play, it's just like clicking on
a link on a website; iTunes looks where it thinks the file is, and if it finds
it, it plays it.

When you delete an item from your library, you're given two choices. Just
delete the link so that it no longer shows up in your library but the file
remains on your computer, or delete the link as well as the file, so that the
link is deleted from the library and the file is deleted from the computer.

However, the second option only works if your files are stored in your iTunes
media folder, which is the folder iTunes creates for you the first time the
program runs. iTunes normally creates that folder on your local drive, so if
you're using an external drive, it's possible your music isn't stored in the
media folder.

To check, open the preferences menu in iTunes by pressing command-comma, and
look under advanced settings. The location of your iTunes media folder should
be the first thing you hear under that tab. If the location of your folder is
the same place your podcast is stored, then you can just opt to move the
podcast to trash when the delete dialogue comes up. If your podcast is stored
somewhere else, you'll have to go into that folder and delete it, the same way
you would if you wanted rid of any other file on your computer.

I hope that's clearer. If it's not, let me know, and I'll give it another shot.