[macvoiceover] Re: Copying text from mail

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:24:26 -0500

yes, tab and shift tab move back and forth but I move forth. I can not effectively use shift tab with my left hand. the reason that thechild window designation makes a difference is that unlike windows, you do not have another application window to jump to get to an app you have opened. also, you can move in mail from window to window, have several messages open so that you can read and copy between them if you like and yes, the main window is there too.

There are a bunch of ways and reasons for doing things on the Mac. I find it useful to have a streamlined and uncluttered interface if possible.

On Feb 4, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Josh de Lioncourt wrote:

David,

Just FYI.

Even with the preview pane open, you can still do all of the things you mentioned, with fewer keystrokes than by opening additional child windows. (I don't see the how the distinction matters in this case, BTW.) Tab/Shift-Tab moves back and forth between the tables without hitting the preview pane. VO-J jumps into the message and begins reading it. VO-J jumps you back to the messages and does *not* require you to reinteract with the messages table, which saves me a keystroke. Pressing delete while the message is reading deletes the message and automatically puts you back in the message list, just like doing it from an opened window.

So, whichever way you choose, it's more a matter of personal preference I think than what is actually a pain or not. I think this is important, because a lot of people will pay attention if ou tell them something is a pain and never try it. In this case, it's just a matter of personal taste, not any tangible difference.

Josh de Lioncourt
Mac-cessibility: http://www.Lioncourt.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lioncourt

"Beauty was a savage garden, so why should it wound him that the most despairing music is full of beauty?"
        The Vampire Lestat--Anne Rice

On Feb 4, 2009, at 8:53 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

first, you are not opening and closing windows, you are opening and closing child windows and for me this is much better and fewer keystrokes because I often tab between the mailbox list and the messages list and the paine of a payne gets in the way. Yes, this is somewhat of a holdover from my windows days but I like the feel of a clean interface, only two columns to tab between when I want to tab. I press enter on a message, command-w to close or delete to delete and I'm back in the list.