[macvoiceover] Re: Configuring Voiceover to work with Snow Lepard

  • From: Ray Foret jr <rforetjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 20:27:40 -0600

Well, Tony, to get to your first question first.  It is not, (strictly
speaking) necessary to change any Voice Over settings to make it work properly.
 I'm still using the configuration that came right out of the box, with only
one change; and that, even though it is not necessary, is to turn off the
tutorial instructions which automatically tell you how to deal with a button or
control upon which you land.

        Now, why interact with something?  Easy.  Think of the things in your
new Mac as a bunch of boxes.  Now, Voice Over Focuses your attention on the big
boxes first.  For example, I press enter to read a new message; but, suppose I
want to click on a link in that message?  Well, I need to then focus on the
text of that message.  So, when I interact with it, I'm telling Voice OVer that
I want and or need to pay attention more tightly to this certain area; in this
case, the text.  So, I interact with it.  When I'm done, I can then stop
interacting with it and focus back on the larger area.
        Here's a physical compares which might help you understand the concept
a little better.  Let's say someone gives you a Christmas present in a big box.
 When you open it, you discover that they've gone and put it inside a smaller
box.  Well, of course, when you finally get down to the smallest box,  there's
the present itself.  YOu see?  You had to get  through all those boxes to get
to the thing itself.  Windows did the same thing; but, when we used windows we
were never aware of it because it was hidden from us.  That's the thing I don't
like about Windows Screen readers.  They have a nasty way of hiding what
Windows is really doing; Window-Eyes less than JAWS though.  With the Mac and
Voice Over, no hiding.

HTH.

Sincerely,
The Constantly BAREFOOTED Ray!!!

Now a Mac User!!!

Phone:
+1 (985) 360-3614

E-mail:
rforetjr at comcast dot net

Skype Name:
barefootedray

On Dec 11, 2009, at 7:40 PM, blind Treasures wrote:

HI, First I want to thank everyone again for their help with my getting
voiceover up and running on my new IMac. Being a newbie I'm sure these
questions have been asked before so bare with me. I'm so excited about learning
this new system it is killing me. <smile>
Can someone tell me what the best configuration settings for voiceover which
will make it work best with snow leopard? I know I read something somewhere
which told about a few settings that need to be changed or set.
Lastly, this is probably a stupid question but here it goes anyway. Why is it
necessary to interact with certain elements on the screen? Like with the menu
bar, why can't you just move left and right and up and down without interacting
with it first? What things need to be interacted with first?
Thanks in advance for your expert help.

Tony