[macvoiceover] Re: Can you really do a clean install of Lion?

  • From: Ronald Johnson <ganahee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 05:02:24 -0500

Jude,

        Ron here.  Well, I've finally got my copy of Lion and am now working on
doing a clean install.

        I've got the Lion image restored onto a partition, on an external
drive, as I'm having trouble finding writeable DVDs which work in my MacBook.
I also have the ISO you mentioned, downloaded and ready for burning onto CD.

        My big question is:  You mention, in your instructions, placing the CD
into the computer, and running it, using "autostart 5" as it boots, and waiting
till your Mac disk is clean.  What the heck is autostart 5, where is it, how to
you invoke it, etc?  Everything else, in your instructions, makes perfect
sense, but the autostart 5-thing is about as clear as mud to me! LOL

        If you wish to address this topic off-list, my eMail address is
Ganahee@xxxxxxxxxx

        Take care and hope to hear back soon!  TIA for the assistance!

Ron

On Jul 24, 2011, at 6:43 AM, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> 1) purchase Lion and cancel the automatic install that comes up.
> 2) Burn the Lion Image to dvd, 3) backup whatever is on your computer, 4)
>   download and burn the iso to dvd from http://dban.sourceforge.net/, 5)
>   place dban cd in computer and run it with autostart 5 as it boots and
>   wait for your apple disk to be cleaned, 6) install Lion dvd and run it.
>   The dban disk wipes everything out on your apple hard disk and restores
>   it to the state it was before anyone put any software or operating
>   system on it.  That ought to get you a clean install.On Sun, 24 Jul
>   2011, Jason Dasent wrote:
>
>> Hi every one,
>>     I would really like to purchase Lion. However, I am getting lots
>> of people saying that you can just upgrade from Snow Leopard, but I
>> have been waiting for quite some time thinking that when Lion came
>> out, I would have the opportunity to do a clean install. If this is
>> indeed possible, can some one please outline the steps for me? I am
>> quite new to mac, and don't really understand terminal, how to choose
>> the correct file format for the hard drive etc, I have not used my mac
>> in quite a few weeks since little things frustraight me such as, I
>> can't seem to select contiguous or none contiguous files reliably in
>> finder windows? I can't remove attachments in gmail for example if I
>> change my mind after attaching a file, and don't want to send it any
>> more. These things are so easy in windows. I know it's just that I
>> just don't know how to do it on the mac, and not the os it self. I am
>> willing to give the whole mac thing another try, but I would like my
>> mac to be clean to start with. Just like if I turned it on for the
>> first time after taking it out of the box. I am hoping to really do a
>> clean install of Lion. I would really appreciate it if some one could
>> walk me through the process. Also, if any one could help me with the
>> other 2 questions above, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in
>> advance for any help.
>> Jason

Ron J. | AKA Ganahee

"For millions of years, mankind lived, just like the animals.  Then something
happened, which unleashed the power of our imagination - we learned to talk."

From the MD "The Division Bell", the track "Keep Talking".