[macvoiceover] Re: Camera based OCR

  • From: David Chittenden <dchittenden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:14:04 +1200

Hello,

Ok, that already exists, sort of.

Serotech's DocuScan Plus will work on the Mac for taking the picture and
displaying the OCR results. However, you need an internet connection because
they did not convert the OCR engine to the mac platform. Instead, the image is
sent to their server where it is converted and then sent back to you. DocuScan
Plus works with a desktop camera that is commercially available. However, they
recommend you purchase the camera through them so that they can have the
factory lock the camera focus to a specific position for DocuScan Plus. The
link is
www.docuscanplus.com

As for the iPhone, I regularly use Prizmo with very good success. The learning
curve is extremely steep, but it works quite well if you make it through the
learning. Prizmo is $9.95 USD through the app store.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchittenden@xxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone