[macvoiceover] Calculator application

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 08:54:36 -0600

Does anybody know of a calculator application that works with voiceover where
the numbers can be typed in?

Here's my problem. I have several activities for which I need to use a
calculator. The calculator app that comes with Macosx works with voiceover but
it's very tedious because one has to do vokeys space on every single digit and
opperation, meaning it's necessary to first locate the desired number or
opperation, do vokeys space, and then go looking for the next. Very slow in my
opinion. I do have an application via Macports which I can use in terminal
where I just type via the command line. The problem with this is that I'm also
using emacs, in the terminal, to bring up my banking file, my aircard file
where I keep track of my megabyte usage, and my wages file where I keep track
of my earnings each month so I don't go over my substantial gainful
activity--it's important to be accurate with these!!! The reason I use emacs
with these files rather than Text Edit is that I can use braille with brltty as
I prefer to be able to read my numbers rather than just hearing them. While the
command line calc application works well, I have to keep changing windows
between the window with the file and the window with the shell prompt where I
can use calc. This requires me to remember numbers as I'm working.If I just had
an application where I could type in the numbers and opperations or at least
copy and paste them, it would be much more efficient. I could then use braille
in the terminal to look at the files while doing my calculations with voiceover
as command-tabbing to the application doesn't hide what brltty is showing in
terminal. Again, this can be done with the calculator application but data
entry is so slow with that app unless there's something I'm missing. In the
past, I've had my mac and a linux machine side by side and used two old
braillelites so I could work in terminal with the file on one machine and do
the calculations with calc on the linux machine but now I'm experimenting to
see if just using my Mac with Macports is adequate and this is one of the very
few instances where I'm missing having the linux machine up and running right
next to the Mac.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--

Cheryl