[macvoiceover] Re: CSUN was: Re: A quiet list.

  • From: Ignasi Cambra <ignasicambra@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:56:53 -0400

When's that?

On Mar 25, 2009, at 10:42 AM, chantel cuddemi wrote:

I am going to teh nfb convention, speaking of that. I hope they have a lot odf mac users there.
On Mar 25, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Greg Kearney wrote:

Well not all 5000 of them are blind of course, there are a good number of blind but there are deaf, and mobility impaired as well as a good number of non-disabled as well. Now if you want a big convention of the blind go to the NFB national convention sometime.

Greg Kearney
535 S. Jackson St.
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-224-4022
gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Mar 25, 2009, at 8:35 AM, Ignasi Cambra wrote:

And how do 5000 blind people go around that place? I have a dog and everything, but the hotel must be big etc... I really think I want to go anyway next year. I'll eventually find my way around just like everyone else I guess...

On Mar 24, 2009, at 4:50 PM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

CSUN is the biggest US based technology and disability conference. Anyone with $500 for conference credentials, $150 per night for a room and whatever a flight to San Diego will be running, can attend. This year with 5000 people and about 200 dogs was a madhouse and the presentations were much more interesting than the exhibits as little new was out there.

If you plan on attending the conference, get on their mailing list early (you can find them using google) as there are discounts to be had early on. Also, as there are so many interesting things going on you will want to have your plan of attack as to which presentations and events you will want to attend sorted out before you get there.

You can also prepare a proposal to do your own presentation which makes the $500 ticket discounted and is a good way to meet people, learn stuff and make some friends.

If you are going mostly as a guest and not a presenter, you can take it easier and enjoy yourself a bit; if you try to do everything, including tasks related to your job, you will burn out and should schedule the following week as mostly vacation and decompression time.

cdh
On Mar 23, 2009, at 8:54 PM, Ignasi Cambra wrote:

Who can attend this conference? I might want to go to this next year...!
Thanks!

Ignasi
On Mar 23, 2009, at 8:12 PM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

I think that some of our heads are still spinning from CSUN which went pretty much non-stop for a solid week. The Apple presentations were very good and I learned a number of things. Mike also let me handle the new iPod Shuffle which was the size of a piece of Trident chewing gum and uses the speech features we enjoy on the Nano for all users, blind or otherwise.

For the most part, though, this CSUN was, in terms of public announcements and the like, pretty dull. Sure, Code Factory made a screen reader for Blackberry and having another set of phones from which we can choose is nice but not earth shattering.

The conference had no real "buzz" about anything in particular other than, after 20 years at the LAX Marriott, CSUN will be held in San Diego next year. As many of us blinks have grown to know our way around the Marriott, all of us will need some level of mobility training at the new hotel which can turn into a pretty ugly scene with all of the dogs, sword fights and just plain old disorientation in a crowd of 5000 conventioneers.

cdh
On Mar 23, 2009, at 6:15 AM, Keith Reedy wrote:

Yes the list has been quiet this weekend. Every thing seems to be working ok, just a slow time and some times, thats ok.