[macvoiceover] Boot Camp versus Parallels

  • From: "Russell Solowoniuk" <rsolowoniuk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:51:18 -0600

Hi all,

I've been really struggling with whether or not to switch to a Mac. Two concerns I have are scanning and my Braille embosser. I thought of perhaps keeping my old Windows PC around for these tasks, but I only have so much space on my desk! <smile>

So, I called my local Mac dealer to ask about having Windows installed on an iMac. He said they would install it for me for a cost of $49, which to me would be money well spent. He said there were two ways to go, either using boot camp, which allows me to hold down the Options key on boot up in order to get to a boot screen, allowing me to boot into either Windows or Mac.

Another option is to use Parallels, which he said is sort of like running both OS' at the same time.

I'm sort of leaning to using boot camp, as it seems that it might work better for me... I'd only need to log into Windows when I want to use my Braille embosser (Braille Blazer) or when I wish to scan, in the event I can't find a suitable method on the Mac side.

Can anyone comment on which solution is better, and give reasons why?

Also, my Braille embosser has a serial connection. Can I use a USB to serial adapter to get this to work?

Thanks for any and all help!

Russell