[macvoiceover] Airport, Big Disks, Video...

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 07:06:38 -0400

Hi Donna,

Most of the movies I "watch" is actually just listening to the DVS collection on the Serotek site (it makes membership in their online service worth the price even if you don't use any other of its features). We own a handful of DVD that we rarely look at and we have "Slum Dog Millionaire" that we bought from iTunes. Thus, my knowledge about video is very slim.

I do not know if any of the Airport models handle video and, recently, I couldn't figure out how to get iTunes to use my Airport for audio on movies (someone on this list told me that I needed to update my firmware which sounded like a simple process but I haven't gotten to it yet). I do know of a few other music bridge devices that support iTunes that advertise support for video but I have no hands on experience with any of them.

So, my babbling turned the simple phrase, "I don't know" into all of the above nonsense. I need more coffee.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

On Aug 2, 2009, at 5:47 AM, Donna Goodin wrote:

Hi Chris,

Is there any reason that the process you describe below wouldn't also work for movies? My husband and I have been trying to do something like this with our movies collection, and I'm wondering if this would be a sloution.
Thanks,
Donna
On Jul 30, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

1. Go to a Best Buy store or newegg.com.
2. Find a really huge hard disk that supports either USB 2 or Firewire 800. This should cost about $150 if you go to the two terrabyte size. 3. Make a partition for your music collection on the disk after you get home or it arrives from UPS.
4.  Move all of your songs to the big disk.
5. Follow the instructions on the Apple site for moving a music library within iTunes (the iTunes notion of a "library" is actually a set of XML files that tell iTunes where to find the actual music but there is a very specific order, detailed on the web site, one must follow to make sure that iTunes finds your music. Fortunately, none of the steps can destroy your music files so mistakes, while frustrating, aren't terribly hazardous. 6. Assuming you have a wireless home network, set both computers to look for and present shared libraries. This will let you have the big external drive on one Mac and it can be seen by everything on your network, including, of course, an iPhone. 7. Take your entire CD collection and re-rip all of it into either Apple Lossless or FLAC formats. 8. Go to audio Nexus (www.audionexus.com) and pick out a killer new stereo that need only include an amplifier and speakers. 9. Buy an Apple Airport Express, set it up and run the RCA cables into your new amplifier. 10. Tell iTunes that you want to play through your Airport Express instead of the computer's speakers.
11.  Enjoy the best sounding music you've ever had in your home.

Happy Hacking,
cdh

On Jul 31, 2009, at 3:41 AM, Steve Hurd wrote:

I had simlier issues when I tried to sync my iphone. I also have another question. When I try to synk my music it said the library on my iphone will be replaced by the library on my macbook. There are no songs on my new macbook so if it replaced it iot would replace it with nothing. My substantial question therefore is how do I copy or sync the music on my iphone and move the songs to my computer? Do I use the import library function?
Thanks,
Steve

On 30/07/2009, at 5:23 AM, Chris Hofstader wrote:

Hi,

I do not know if this is an iPhone, an iPhone/VO, an iMac or an iMac/VO problem. Last night, for the first time, I synchronized my iPhone with our iMac 24. I selected not to look at ring tones but did elect to change the library with which the iPhone was to sync with.

In the iPhone settings dialogue in iTunes, I changed a few things (almost all in the Music tab) and let the process start. After a while I would get an error that a program that I think is called Mobile Services Helper (or something very similar) had exited unexpectedly, "Ignore, Send to Apple, Restart," which reminded me an awful lot of "abort, retry, ignore" back in the DOS days.

I then went to the software update menu item in iTunes (after a few restarts) and found that I had not updated iTunes, Safari and a handful of things I didn't care much about. I let the installation procede and the Mac, as expected, restarted.

I reattached the iPhone and iTunes, as expected, came up. A standard sync resulted in the same process crashing. Then (after a few more reboots), I started eliminating options to isolate the problem. In iTunes, when things seemed hung, I saw in the LCD space that it was synchronizing Contacts. I unchecked contacts from the sync list and everything started to acted as I would have expected and a ton of music moved onto my phone but the contacts on my phone did not populate the empty Address Book on the iMac.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm not important or useful enough to sign up for MobileMe as its cost outstrips the usefulness of near immediate synchronization.

Happy Hacking,
cdh