[macvoiceover] Accessible GPS with turn by turn navigation on the iPhone

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 09:25:33 +0800

I have been testing the Navigon GPS application for the iPhone which is accessible with VoiceOver and can provide turn by turn navigation while walking. It seems to work well here in Australia, there are U.S. Canada and European versions as well.

It does not give street names but the names can be read off the screen if needed. I will be suggesting adding TTS to the application when running under VoiceOver. It's a good by at about $60 quite a bit cheaper than most other accessible GPS solutions.

Gregory Kearney
Manager - Accessible Media
Association for the Blind of Western Australia
61 Kitchener Avenue, PO Box 101
Victoria Park 6979, WA Australia

Telephone: +61 (08) 9311 8202
Telephone: +1 (307) 224-4022 (North America)
Fax: +61 (08) 9361 8696
Toll free: 1800 658 388 (Australia only)
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On 24/08/2009, at 9:47 AM, VaShaun Jones wrote:

Thanks, I got that all set now for another question coming soon.
On Aug 21, 2009, at 9:59 PM, Brett Campbell wrote:

Yes. Go to settings, general, accessibility, select the VoiceOver on button, find the speaking rate, you will hear a number as a percentage, with the number in focus flick your finger up or down to change the speaking rate. Simply back out when you're finished.

Brett

On Aug 22, 2009, at 12:58 AM, VaShaun Jones wrote:

Listers,

Is there a way to speed up the voice on the I Phone?
VaShaun Jones (President)
Cobb County Empowerment Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Georgia Inc.
Office Phone: 678.603.4881
Cell:678.662.7481
Web URL: ccecnfb.org