[macvoiceover] Re: Abbyy Fine Reader with scanners or Isight.

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:21:21 -0500

As I understand it, Finereader doesn't scan by itself on the Mac. either you
use vuescan or it takes you to the scan facilities installed with your HP. As
for its recognition, it does as well as if not better than readiris, which is
the other program people are using. You will perhaps still want to use vuescan
for the scanning part though some people don't; you'll have to experiment and
decide. Be careful with readiris; they've called me four times to advertise and
I've told them twice not to call this number again or i'll notify the Better
Business Bureau since I had told them to take me off their calling list. The
latest version (12 I believe) isn't as friendly and useable as 11 was; that's
partly why I switched to Abbyy. That and the fact that Abbyy worked for me so
well on Windows. I hope they will come out with a full version for the Mac
eventually instead of just the express version. Right now I mostly scan with
finereader; if I don't like the way it scans something, then I try it with
readiris and see if that is any better. One thing I like about finereader is
that it doesn't give you a limit on the number of pages it will allow you to
process at a time; readiris gives you a limit of 50 unless you buy the more
expensive version. This isn't a huge problem since you can actually scan as
much as you want at a time using vuescan and then pick the pages you have
readiris process.

Vuescan is at w.hamrick.com

Readiris is at www.readiris.com.

Hth.