[mac4theblind] Re: why have they dis continued the Mac Book?

  • From: Josh de Lioncourt <overlord@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:53:46 -0400

The MacBookAir comes with internal storage ranging from 64GB up to 256GB, if I
remember correctly. It is a trade-off that I personally agree with. By using
Flash memory instead of a hard disk, you lose some capacity, but gain speed,
reliability, and portability. Hard disks are far more prone to failure, run
much more slowly, and so on.

At this point, there are not very many average users I'd recommend a MacBookPro
too, especially if you plan on making it a portable device. The MacBookAir
doesn't have a DVD drive, something that few people use on a regular basis
anymore. When my older MacBook's DVD drive finally gave up the ghost, I got an
external drive to use for a while. In the span of 18 months, I used that
external drive exactly once. My next machine will be a MacBookAir, in part
because I don't want to lug a DVD drive around that I'm not using. Plus, if you
are carrying around a DVD drive, the possibility of its failure is higher, too,
due to its moving parts.

The storage is really a minor trade-off in comparison to the benefits for the
vast majority of users. If you have a lot of data to store, you should have
multiple external drives for back up purposes in any case. If you need to
access optical discs now and then, you can have an external drive around for
that purpose, but won't be forced to carry around with you wherever you go with
your Mac.

Just my two cents.