[mac4theblind] what do we do about productivity on the mac?

  • From: David Hilbert Poehlman <poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 08:59:39 -0400

spreadsheets and documents and presentations, oh my!

Many blind folk are successfully employed for performing tasks which involve
the above and have been for many years.  Few if any though are using the mac
for many reasons but I want to focus on moving forward in areas in which we can
move forward and to focus your attention and seek your assistance with those.

We need gallant folk to step up to Microsoft and shout out that office needs to
be made accessible in order that the market for blind employees will be wider.
To do this, folk must provide concrete detailed and factual information about
the issues of using Microsoft office on the mac.  You can even find some good
stuff that is already written and submit it to them.  I don't have a handle on
the Microsoft stream and cannot purchase the product so cannot help directly
but am willing to help in any other way I can.

We need to provide solid feedback to apple on issues related to IWork from a
productivity standpoint.  Some employers will be willing to accept a blind
person with a mac since we can export office formats and they would be willing
to mix systems if they are able.

We need to locate employers willing to work with us and rehab or other agencies
who are willing to take on the challenge if for nothing less than the potential
cost savings.

I know that there are a myriad of issues which we face with regard to this
ultimate goal of prominent positioning of mac in the work place of the blind,
but if we work together, perhaps we can move forward and provide assistance in
this important effort.

I know that there are efforts ongoing at apple and lots of feedback coming to
them which they are paying attention to and which is helping to guide them
toward better accessibility.  I'd like though to discuss experiences and
desires and perhaps translate some of those into meaningful dialog with apple
and microsoft.

I hope you will attend to this important topic with me and I hope I've not
overstepped any bounds as an unintended consequence of this letter.

All the best.

with his
Hands-On Technolog(eye)s
reducing technology's disabilities