[mac4theblind] Re: imported a CD and it's now on my desktop, how do I fix it?

  • From: David Hilbert Poehlman <poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 19:42:17 -0400

eject pops the cd out.

On May 15, 2012, at 7:30 PM, Christopher-Mark Gilland wrote:

OK.

That's fine.  First of all, you're not dumb and neither is your assumption.
Let's get that cleared up front.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

Basically, when we talk about things being mounted or unmounted, all we
basically are saying is it binds itself somewhere.  So In other words, when we
say that the CD gets mounted to your desktop, all we simply mean is, that CD
will appear on your desktop as a volume.  If you used Windows before using the
mac, think of a volume as nothing more than a drive.  On windows you had drive
letters, like say, C colon, where on the mac, they are called volumes, hince:
Macintosh HD, Volume.

So, basically, to mount something is just saying you're taking the media in/on
that drive, and you're mounting it, or in other words, you're placing it to a
specific destination.  In this particular case, your desktop.

Say you had a USB flash drive.  If you put that in one of your USB ports, in
then would get mounted on your desktop for easy access.  Now, if you look at
the desktop, and you was to vo+left and right arrow around, you'd notice you'd
have your macintosh HD volume, but then in addition, you'd see your flash drive
you just plugged in.  Now, you either could unmount it with command+E was you
were sitting on it.  That would eject the drive.  Being we're not dealing with
a CD, saying we're ejecting it, quote unquote kind of is a bit confusing, I
know, but escentially, either way, by ejecting, all you're doing is unmounting
it and taking it off your desktop and preparing it to be removed.

I hope that makes at least a little bit of sense, but if it doesn't, don't
worry.  don't be bashful in letting me know.  Perhaps I can find another way to
better explain it.

Chris.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jenny Keller" <jlperdue3@xxxxxxxxx>