[mac4theblind] Re: People with Low Vision

  • From: Justin Harford <blindstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 13:13:51 -0700

Hi

The whole point of her email was to find out about this zoom feature.

I have been known to use it ever now and then. I used to especially before
Cydia was accessible with VO. But basically all I ever did was use the zoom. Go
into accessibility Below VoiceOver is the zoom option. Go in there and you can
click the switch to turn it on. I have it set so that if I triple press the
home button, VO turns off and zoom turns on. Double tap with three fingers and
it actually will zoom in. I like to double tap with three fingers right on the
area that I want to examine more closely. It will zoom in on the area where you
3 finger double tap. Do it again and it goes back to normal view. With zoom
active, drag the three fingers to move the zoom focus. Okay and this will be
useful, so now in order to adjust the zoom, with the three fingers, do a
tap-hold. So instead of doing a double tap, you are going to leaove the fingers
position on the screen after the second landing. Then drag the three fingers up
or down to adjust the amount of zoom. Now it also has a large text feature,
below zoom in the general accessibility menu. I remember that this option was
limited to certain applications and in fact it tells you what they are, mail,
calendar, contacts, notes, and text messages.  I feel like it also did it in
mail. I have not used this option as much, but it might help your friend by
reducing the amount of zooming and unzooming that she has to do. There are a
number of text sizes that she can select. It also has a black-on-white option
below the text size in the general access menu. I have never used it.

You know its interesting, they don't have a text-to-speech option on the
iPhone, so that people who just want an occasional paragraph read out wouldn't
have to bother themselves with voiceover commands. It seems like she could make
use of VO, I mean I wouldn't write it off. I would be worried if she could do
the triple tap on the homeb button. If she is having problems with her fingers,
 this might be hard. I'm just speculating.

I hope this helps. The other thing that occurs to me though, is that in some
places she probably wouldn't need either, because pictures accompany text, like
on the home screen.

I hope it goes well.

Regards
Justin