[mac4theblind] Itunes for this beginner and some progress

  • From: Brian and Denise Albriton <autoharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 17:13:01 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks John, and David for yourr messages. Your description here John is starting to get through to me and David's tip about selecting the item in the table and tabbing to the information, provided it is in column view is of great assitance. I don't have it to where I can coherently describe to someone else how the interface works. That will no doubt come over time. I will look forward to a podcast from the mac perspective on the itunes application. John's podcast on mail for instance made that application clearer.
As always, appreciate the patience and  clarity of the list members.
Brian

   I think Winamp is perceived as easier because it's not as comprehensive as
iTunes.  To be honest, I think folks tend to make a lot out of iTunes because
of the interface alone.

   Basically, folks, you have to understand iTunes this way.  I am speaking
from the Mac perspective here, so it might be a little different in Windows.
However, this is a Mac list and that's how I am going to proceed.

   Everything in iTunes starts with the source list or table.  Your Music
library, movies, radio stations, podcasts, applications for the iPhone/iPad,
play lists, etc, are all shown in the source view in a pretty straight forward
list.  You interact with the source list and select the specific item you want
to view by navigating with it either with the down and up arrow keys or the
VoiceOver navigation keys..  Once you do this, stop interacting and the content
you will find will be related to that item in the source list.

   Thus, after you stop interacting with the source list and navigate right
with the VO keys and right arrow, for example, you will find  you library in a
table format, depending on his you have the browser configured, such as album,
artists, etc.  If you choose the iTunes store, you will find the store in an
html area you need to interact with.  It's actually pretty straight forward and
requires familiarity and patience more than anything else.

   I would suggest choosing the album list view, as to me, this is the easiest
way to view play lists and your library.  Also, use the VoiceOver keys and the
right and left arrows to navigate and not use the tab key as much.  A lot of
the buttons and controls you will find are available in the menus or through
keyboard shortcuts.

   For searches, the search is going to be based on what item in your source
list you have selected.  So, for example, if you have your library selected,
your search results are going to be songs or movies or such from your library.
If you are looking to search the iTunes store, be sure you have the iTunes
store selected in your source list.  In the iTunes store, the easiest way to
see your results is to use the next table command with control-option-command-t
provided you are interacting with the store html area.

   In any event, please ask specific questions if you would like us to try to
give you a hand.  That is just an overview and some general tips.

http://www.macfortheblind.com

MAC VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT

On Sep 3, 2011, at 5:04 PM, Missy Hoppe wrote:

So far, I beg to differ. Winamp is much, much easier. I can't stand Windows
Media player, and my dream come true would be a
version of winamp for the mac. So yeah, an Itunes tutorial would be extremely
appreciated.