[mac4theblind] Re: Itunes and activating voice over on the IPhone

  • From: Brian and Denise Albriton <autoharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 21:10:35 -0700 (PDT)

Ok. That's good clear description and the key word is time. Time to learn. Time is a great teacher.

Brian

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, John Panarese wrote:

Hi Brian,
    Well, here's the thing to try ti visualize.  Your source table is like a
column.  So, you interact with it and then navigate up or down.  When you want
to move to the content for that source item, you stop interacting and navigate
right or left with the VO navigation keys.

     With the iPhone, you first find the "Devices" source item that will say,
Brian's iPhone, or something like that and then stop interacting and navigate right.
That will take you passed a vertical splitter to the iPhone settings scroll area.  You
then interact with that and navigate with the VO keys to find the specific settings.  The
iPhone settings are presented in a way that you first have to activate a radio button for
the specific setting category, like Summary, Info or Music.  Once you choose the specific
category, navigating right passed the other radio buttons will bring you to the actual
settings for that category.

   Again, it's really not that difficult once you acclimate yourself to the
layout of iTunes.  It's really getting over that initial confusion and taking
the time to learn it.

http://www.macfortheblind.com

MAC VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT

On Aug 3, 2011, at 9:54 PM, Brian and Denise Albriton wrote:

Thehighlighted source being the key makes good sense. My question would be, how
do I change sources.
For afew minutes, all I could see was library. It was more dumb luck I got to
the place where I could find configure universal access than good ense.
I'll take luck anyway I can get it.
Have a good one John and we'll be talkin

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, John Panarese wrote:

Hi Brian,
  The trick to learning iTunes is understanding that the source list is the
important thing.  As you highlight what is in the source list, that effects
everything else that appears.  So, for example, if you go to your main music
library or the iTunes store or a specific play list, when you stop interacting
with the source list and navigate to the right, you will find the times to be
all associated with what you have highlighted.  Thus, you'll find your various
music lists or the iTunes store content.

  It is also important to keep in mind that the view menu and how you configure
iTunes will effect how you navigate and how things are presented.  It really
comes down to working with iTunes and getting used to how it setup.  As you
customize it and get used to it, it really becomes a very powerful and
effective media player.

http://www.macfortheblind.com

MAC VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT

On Aug 3, 2011, at 6:02 PM, Brian and Denise Albriton wrote:

Fixed it. A friend of mine had the same issue and wnet into itunes to turn off
voice over after which he turned it on again.
its an odd one.
I still have a lot of difficulty getting to where I want to go on itunes.
My subjective view of it is its a busy and to me, abstruse as windows media
player. Just a matter of not knowing how to get around.
Have a good one.
brian

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, John Panarese wrote:

I remember reading that a few people have had this issue.  It's something worth
shooting a note to Apple Accessibility if you want.

http://www.macfortheblind.com

MAC VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT

On Aug 3, 2011, at 3:10 PM, Brian and Denise Albriton wrote:

Oh, yes. My apartment manager took a look at it and its on. This happened to a
friend of mine some time ago. I talked withhim last night and he said he wound
up having to turn it off and then on again.
Its flukey.
By way of nothin, I can't wait till IPhone five comes out.
Brian

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, John Panarese wrote:

Do you have any sighted help to verify that VoiceOver is actually turned on?
Again, I know a very elementary question, but I like to cover all bases and not
assume anything.

http://www.macfortheblind.com

MAC VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT

On Aug 3, 2011, at 1:57 PM, Brian and Denise Albriton wrote:

Oh, yes. I did the triple click home as well.

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, John Panarese wrote:

I'llhave to think about this one.  I don't think the VoiceOver volume is set
independently.  It sounds like it's muted, but if the 3 finger tap twice is not
working, that's odd.  Did you try hitting the home key 3 times to be sure
VoiceOver is on, provided you have that turned on in settings?

http://www.macfortheblind.com

MAC VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT

On Aug 2, 2011, at 11:45 PM, Brian and Denise Albriton wrote:

First thing I thought of. Volume is fine and I can  play music like gangbusters!

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, John Panarese wrote:

Is the volume completely down?  That's the only obvious thing that comes to
mind.

http://www.macfortheblind.com

MAC VOICEOVER TRAINING AND SUPPORT

On Aug 2, 2011, at 11:33 PM, Brian and Denise Albriton wrote:

Ok. Turns out, voiceover is enabled. It just isn'talking. Ive tried the double
tap with three fingers that toggles speech and that doesn't bring it back
either.
There's something can be done but I don't know what it is.