[mac4theblind] Re: Introduction

  • From: Scott Granados <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:23:53 -0400

I would think your going to be able to run Duxberry under the virtual machine
in an existing windows environment so to the program it wouldn’t know the
difference.  As for the braille device not sure.  Do you happen to know what
sort of interface it uses?  Is it USB or RS232 serial or what do you use to
connect it to the computer.  Also are there special drivers involved or does it
support the normal print protocols.  I don’t know the answer to this but I
would guess the manufacturer would have a good idea whether this could be done
and how.  If it’s a simple matter of making Serial work you can use something
like a WUSB11 serial to USB adapter from Keyspan to do the trick.  It may be
more involved than that so I’d suggest you ping the manufacturer of your
braille hardware.

Thanks
Scott

On Jun 16, 2014, at 10:15 AM, Tom Behler
<tombehler@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:tombehler@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Scott:

Thanks for this very thoughtful response.  I appreciate it greatly.

Do you know whether or how a Mac with Voiceover can successfully be integrated
with the Duxbury Braille translation software, and a Juliet Pro-60 Braille
embosser?

This is important for me, since I use these items in many aspects of my college
teaching work.

Dr.  Tom Behler