[mac4theblind] Re: IPad2

  • From: Josh de Lioncourt <overlord@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 12:37:23 -0400

Both the iPad 2 and the iPod touch include cameras.

Personally, I have a hard time grasping situations when an assistive device is
a better option than an iPad, iPod, or iPhone for one enormous reason that
doesn't come up nearly as often as it should.

While there may be specific cons to an iOS device for specific users, (i.e. the
lack of a built-in Braille display), the sheer volume of apps that expand the
utility of an iOS device outweighs those cons by many thousands of times over.
No matter what AT device you are talking about, it will never be able to do
even a tenth of the number of things an iPad/iPod/iPhone will. That alone would
justify the inconvenience of a separate Braille display, for instance.

The iPod touch/iPhone and the iPad with its larger screen are radically
different devices that have entirely different situations where they are
useful. While it is true that if you learn to use one, you will know how to use
the other, that is essentially where the similarity ends. It's like saying a
pay telephone and an iPhone are the same, because they both have keypads for
making a phone call. (Well, that might be an exaggeration, but it proves the
point.)

The iPad is much better, in my opinion, as a note-taker or laptop replacement.
It offers the best browsing experience of any device I've ever used, is great
for reading books, managing email, etc.

On the other end of the spectrum, the iPhone or iPod touch is a great portable
device for listening to music, identifying money, leaving reminders for
oneself, browsing on the go, etc.

I have both, and use them in entirely different ways, and I can't imagine being
without either.