[m14] Word of the Ward - June 2003

  • From: "Ron Grames" <rgrames@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "M14" <m14@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:14:54 -0600

Word of the Ward
Meridian 14th Ward                                          June 2003

The glory of children are their fathers.
                                           Proverbs 17:6

Bishopric Message

When you think about your father, do you think, "Dad is GREAT. He gives
us Chocolate Cake!" (Bill Cosby - Himself) Some dads may not spoil with
cake, but there is a tendency for all to spoil their children from time
to time (especially when mom's not around). How did your father bring a
tickle to your heart? When did he make you feel like laughing? What did
he do to impart a life-changing lesson?

I challenge all to think of an experience with your father (or parent)
that was memorable and express your feelings to them along with how it
has affected your life. The memory may be of a sacrifice made in your
behalf when you were mature enough to realize the offering. You may
recall a time when your heart filled with love after witnessing the
twinkle of satisfaction in your father's eye over an accomplishment. It
may be of a gift given to demonstrate love for you and your worth, even
though you may not have deserved it at the time. Maybe you were trusted
in a way that made you stretch beyond your confidence.

May all of us express thanks to our Heavenly Father for the inspiring
influence of fathers in our life and share the legacy with those we love
around us.
Brother Scott Lloyd

High Priests

"His heritage to his children wasn't words or possessions, but an
unspoken treasure, the treasure of his example as a man and a father."
                                         Will Rogers Jr.

Elders

A boy needs a father who will correct him when necessary, but beyond
that, one who will love him, and like him, and accept him regardless of
his performance; a father who may treat a teenager like an adult, but
not expect him to act like one. It takes quite a dad to look beyond the
actions of boyhood and see the potential of manhood-and even more
important, for him to get a glimpse of eternity.
H. Burke Peterson

Relief Society

We wish to welcome into Relief Society Brittany Lewis, Rebecca Holden,
and Lacy Holmes as our newest members. We are also happy to have Sister
Dawna Barber as our new Relief Society nursery coordinator, Sister
Gerrel Knudsen as one of our compassionate service leaders, and Sister
Elaine Kaiser as a visiting teacher supervisor.

There will be a Relief Society Leadership Meeting on June 21st for all
the teachers and leaders presently serving in our 14th Ward
Relief Society.  It will be held at the home of Maralyn Lewis.

The Home, Family and Personal Enrichment  Meeting will be this Tuesday,
June 3rd at 7 p.m.  Please plan on being there by 6:55 so
that we can start on time.   We are grateful to Sister Donna Rich and
Joann Brown for always planning an excellent evening for us.

The General Relief Society President Sister Bonnie D. Parkin has said:
"I am grateful to my Father in Heaven for the opportunity to be engaged
with sisters in the service of the kingdom.  Relief Society was
organized by a prophet and should be a place where sociality and
sisterhood bind women together in a spirit of testimony and faith;
where doctrine and practical skills are taught together so our temporal
and spiritual houses will be in order.  The name home, family, and
personal enrichment is designed to communicate what this monthly Relief
Society meeting can help us accomplish.  The phrase "personal
enrichment" focuses our attention on the importance of first,
strengthening our sisters as individuals, then with that increased
strength, they will be better able to build their family members,
friends, neighbors, and community , with the ultimate goal of bringing
each closer to our Heavenly  Father and His  Son Jesus Christ.  In the
guidelines we read that the purpose of the home, family, and personal
enrichment meeting is to give us the following direction: l.   Build
spiritual strength, 2. Develop personal skills, 3. Strengthen home and
family and 4. Provide gospel service."

Next month we will have the opportunity to help at the Homecraft Center
located in the Dessert Industries  building .  We are asked to have some
sisters  there on Wed. July 16 .  If you can be there please contact
Sharlene Williams .
Sharlene Williams

Primary

Dads are stone skimmers, mud wallowers, water wallopers, ceiling
swoopers, shoulder gallopers, upsy-downsy, over-and-through,
round-and-about whooshers. Dads are snugglers and secret sharers.

Helen Thomson

Young Men

I've learned that a father's blessing can fill a son's soul to the brim.

Kelly Tobey

Young Women

Another TERRIFIC month has passed for the Young Women.  This month,
Standard's Night was a wonderful success.  Thank you to Sister Lloyd for
being our wonderful speaker.

This month will be another busy one.  The activities are as follows:
June 4 - last day of school!
June 11 - YM/YW Combined Activity
June 18 - moved to the 20
June 20 - sleepover / beauty night
June 25 - Grandmother's Tea party
If you have any questions, talk to your YW leaders.
Laurels- Kathleen Clements 562-1559
Mia Maids-
Beehives- Ann Croft 362-1274

In June we have two birthdays.  Becky Holden on the 10th and Meggie
O'Leary on the 17th.  Happy birthday to them.

Remember the youth dance on June 21st from 9:00-11:00.  Please come and
have a blast!

Have a great month and enjoy the summer heat!
Lacey Holmes

Sunday School

Papa comes directly after God.
Wolfgang Mozart

Missionaries & Servicemen

It's only when you grow up and step back from him-or leave him for your
own career and your own home-it's only then that you can measure his
greatness and fully appreciate it.
Margaret Truman

LCPL COX BRANDON K USMC
1ST CEB "D" CO 2nd PLT/RCT-7
UIC 39822
FPO-AP 96426-9822

Elder Brice Barson
China Hong Kong Mission
2 Cornwall Street, Kowloon Tong
Kowloon, Hong Kong
China
Elder Shayne Holmes
Mexico Hermosillo Mission
P. O. Box 30150
Salt Lake City, UT.  84130-0150

Activities Committee

Paint The Town - 2003
To get ready for Saturday, June 7th there is a lot of prep work to be
done. If you or your family can help for 1-2 hours one night this week
please sign up, a list is being sent around during R.S., Priesthood,
Primary.  Don't forget to sign up to come paint on Saturday, June 7th.
We will be starting
at 8:00 am. Address:  6903 Folk Dr.
Cross Streets:  Allumbaugh & Northview Dr. Supplies to Bring:  Gloves,
trash bags, paint brushes, scrapers, hedge trimmers, ladders . . .
Questions:  Contact Jennifer Gardner, Phone 562-1533.

Family Kickball
Bring your sunscreen and a blanket and come join us for Family Kickball.
Kids and adults of all ages will be able to play this variety of
kickball.  After the game we will be doing a potluck lunch.  We hope to
see everyone there!
Date:  Saturday, June 21st
Time:  10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Lunch Assignments:  Last names starting A-M please bring a salad/finger
food to share (10-12 servings). Last names starting N-Z please bring a
dessert to share (10-12 servings).

Ward Leaders

Bishop        Neil Barson             362-9541
Counselor   Bill Lewis                288-0829
Counselor   Scott Lloyd              362-1981
H. Priests   Joel Dixon               362-9228
Elders         Jared Hill                362-3384
Missionary Eric Hull                   362-4829
Relief Soc.  Maralyn Lewis        288-1581
Y. Men       Rex Cook               887-9487
Y.  Women Kathleen Clements 562-1559
Primary       Marie Morgan        888-2510
Sun. School Jason Melville         562-1049
S. Adults     Janet Boulter          362-5918
Y S Adults  Jennifer Erickson    362-9237

Latter-Day Laughs

The final day of our vacation in the Sierra foothills was a Sunday.  I
looked up the nearest ward in the phonebook so we could attend church
before returning home. After sitting down in sacrament meeting, my
4-year old-son, Nathan, leaned over to me and said: "Daddy, this isn't
the true church." I reverently told him that this was the same church
that we went to at home.  After a short pause, he looked at the ceiling
and replied: "But the lights are different!"
                      Todd S. Adams
*****
Last night at family home evening, my wife taught the children about the
importance of the priesthood and the opportunity to serve.  She
encouraged the children to pray for the prophet and the other general
authorities.  She also told them that they should pray for our local
priesthood leaders and for their father and his calling. Our 7-year-old
daughter asked what her dad's calling was. My wife replied: "He is the
stake executive secretary, which means that he organizes interviews and
appointments for the stake presidency. He contacts people to arrange
times, etc.  He is also responsible for making sure that any big
meetings like stake conference are organized properly." Our daughter
asked innocently: "Does that mean he is a slave?"
*****
Driving to church one Sunday morning, our 5-year-old son asked my
husband, "What ward are we going to?" My husband replied, "We are going
to the same ward we go to every week." My son corrected him: "No, Dad!
Are we going forward, sideward or backward?"
                      PJ Johnson
*****
Our 2-year-old daughter, Eliza, loves to talk and we encourage her
vocabulary by having her finish our sentences. Last night as we were
preparing dinner, I excitedly said, "Today is Monday! After Daddy gets
home, we can have Family Home-"

"Depot," she finished.