[m-w] Re: Next Step - Would be Appreciative of any opinions/advice anyone has

  • From: Karen Stone <stoney19018@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Family <m-w@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:30:25 -0600

First, let me just say how horrible this all is and how sorry I am that you 
have to go thru it.


Second, let me just say that, if it was me, I would get an attorney 
immediately. This is too much for a layman to try and iron out - well, this 
layman anyways!! This looks like it could end up and involve the utility 
company, the insurance company and whoever this "Steve" guy is, the software 
company - I mean it could go on and on. I would rather have a wealthy attorney 
looking out for my best interest than being dependent upon an employee of the 
insurance company whose bonus is probably dependent upon how much he saves the 
company in claims!! 
> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:34:01 -0600
> Subject: [m-w] Next Step - Would be Appreciative of any opinions/advice 
> anyone has
> From: kathi.pieper@xxxxxxxxx
> To: r.pieper@xxxxxxx; m-w@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; lamartin@xxxxxxxxxx
> So, I got a call yesterday from John Niemeyer, insurance adjuster for
> American Family. He had been out of town all last week for a funeral
> - his 2-year-old nephew wandered into a pool area and drowned.
> He wanted to update me on several items. One was that he had spoke
> with Mike Blanchard, Aurora Fire investigator who has still not
> determined the cause of the fire. He has deemed it accidental with
> undetermined origin.
> John has a theory that the electrical meter may have been the cause.
> He was very concerned at how charred and destroyed the meter was
> inside and thinks that something malfunctioned in the meter, blew the
> glass cover off and sparks from the inside of the meter caused the
> fire. I mentioned to him again that the power went out for a couple
> of hours on Monday and that for the last month or so when the heater
> kicked on, the TV had been making a popping noise. I had no idea what
> might have been causing the popping and had mentioned it to Chris that
> I should probably have someone look at it but wasn't even certain who
> to contact.
> Anyway, I had to give John two recorded statements - one regarding the
> fire and another regarding my level of insurance coverage. Turns out
> that I am approximately $125,000 underinsured on the value of the
> house.
> John advised that he took a recorded statement from Steve on how he
> determined the value of the house. Steve used a software program and
> came up with an exact value on the house of $123,100. Best estimate
> on replacement is $225,000. John was quick to say that Steve did
> nothing wrong and that he will request reformation of the policy in
> order to cover the loss. He advised that what might be required is
> for me to come up with the difference in premiums from inception of
> the policy to date and the value of the policy would be changed to
> what it will actually cost to replace. He also told me off the
> recording that he had done these before, the software was faulty and
> that Steve had done nothing wrong.
> So - here is my question. When I bought the house, or was in the
> process of buying, I sent Steve the appraisal that I received that
> clearly stated that I was paying $129,000 and that the comps were
> between $168 and $186,000. Why would it be left up to me to pay the
> premium difference if they screwed up? Should I even be concerned with
> the amount of the difference in premium if they replace the house with
> a new and better one? I asked John how many deductibles they were
> planning to hit me with and he confirmed that there is only one - for
> the replacement of the house and not 3 for the three "buckets" of
> stuff - possessions, temp living and replacement of the house. John
> is saying that the premium difference will be less than $1000 but I
> guess I don't really agree with why I have to foot the bill for their
> mistake. He also told me that I have $92,400 on personal property and
> that his initial assessment is that we will exceed 80% of that based
> on the fire. Apparently that is also where the asbestos abatement
> money is supposed to come from - and the left over 20% is not near
> enough. Does that mean I will not get replacement of my
> possessions?????
> I was told not to worry about any of this and that it would take him
> approximately two weeks to get the decision from management on whether
> or not they would approve to reform the policy. Donnelle with ICA is
> supposed to have someone go over today and pull out the furniture
> (deja vu - I was told this two weeks ago) Dad made to see if it can be
> recovered.
> I am somewhat at my wits end and now second guessing how great I have
> been treated so far. It is almost like I have been wooed and the
> really ugly stuff is about to begin. John mentioned twice in the
> unrecorded portions of the call that I just needed to trust him and
> that he had dealt with these issues many times and would make certain
> all was handled in a just manner.
> Should I waiit and see or is it possibly time to find an attorney and
> take the chance that he will become wealthy and I will have a suitcase
> of charred shit to show for the last 58 years?
> Thanks for your advice
> Kathi

Rediscover Hotmail®: Get e-mail storage that grows with you. 

Other related posts: