[m-w] Re: FW: DOCS

  • From: Kathi Pieper <kathi.pieper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: m-w@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:24:14 -0600

I learned the hard lesson long ago not to do something just because someone
told me I should.  I want information before I sign anything.  What are
these forms we just got?  What are we agreeing to?  It appears to me that we
are granting Mike the right to be the independent administrator of the
estate - what voice will we have after these forms are filed?  What are the
plans for the house and property?  Are we hoping to sell to Paula/Coco?  The
appraisal that we did was appearing to be a good thing.  However, if we sell
for more than that appraisal, we will have to pay capital gains on the
difference based on what I read.

I am really tiring of getting short cryptic messages from Michael without
any additional explanation.  Does that mean there is no question by anyone
on whether or not Mike is the best choice as executor?  I never heard
opinions from Karen or Diana on how they felt about who should be the
executor.  It is fine if they don't have an opinion but I don't think
running off willy nilly is quite the right approach.  If all agree it should
be Mike, that is fine with me as long as I get information to make informed
decisions.  Does Diana know how to "change as needed?"   My understanding
was that this m-w freelist was set up so everybody would be able to see what
is going on without having to make umpteen phone calls back and forth.  It
will work quite well if everybody will participate.  I got responses from
Dan and Sandy and that was great.  Karen and Diana need to speak up.  This
thing is about to be like a freight train rolling downhill and everyone
needs to be involved or it will be too late to change.

I also need the following information for my files.  I found out that if I
am audited either by the investigators here for my security clearance or by
other entities, I need a paper trail on the funds that I received from Mike
and Dan through personal checks.

Could you please send a copy to me of:

Mom's handwritten will

Distribution paperwork (1099 or statement) from the bank where the funds
came from (Ira, annuity or whatever it was) that shows what the balance was
and confirms the information that was in your email on what remained and was
distributed?

I also need a copy of Mom's bank statement from March which will show where
Dan got the money from that he sent to all of us.

In actuality, all of us should have received the DETAIL on both those
distributions and any other transactions that have taken place with Mom's
accounts. I have not read all of the IRS Publication 559, but it appears
that we all should read it so we can do our taxes correctly.  Was that
account pre- or post tax?  From what I have read, we should not have taken
any money at all until this estate was lined up correctly.  I do hope that
doesn't bite us all in the butt later on.

As far as Dan paying rent - here is my opinion on that.  Dan and Katrina
were absolutely wonderful agreeing to and taking care of both Mom and Dad
while Dad was so sick.  After Dad passed away in September of 2002, it was
great for Mom to have somebody there.  I am very appreciative for that and
always will be.  During that time, Dan and Katrina were inconvenienced, but
also able to enjoy living expenses that were very reasonable.  There isn't a
dollar amount that covers the amount of good their physical presence
provided.  But, now they are living there and there is no "taking care of"
going on with either Mom or Dad.  If they weren't living there, we would be
forced to take care of the place and maintain it, but if we chose to rent it
out, we would offset those maintenence costs with income.  I think it is
great that Dan had the ability to come to Denver and play Rock Bank with
Sandy.  Wouldn't it be more fair and equitable for all if everyone had just
a little bit of relief in their monthly budget?  It is not my house - it is
not Dan's house - it is not Sandy's house.  The house belongs equally to all
of us and therefore, all of us should be bearing the burden and reaping the
benefits.  I don't want Dan to move out.  I think it is not fair and
equitable to the rest of us that he isn't paying something for rent.  I
don't expect him to write out checks to each of us each month.  What would
be wrong with him putting an amount into the Mom account each month?  What
is a fair amount? I'm not sure but I'd be willing to bet there is something
out there on that issue.

Here are some other items that I have thought of - maybe everyone else has
as well - but I haven't heard whether or not there is resolution on any of
it.

Has anyone notified the SS that Mom should no longer be receiving checks?
Has anyone notified the insurance company to make sure the policy will still
be valid if something happens during this interim time?
Have the utilities been put in Dan's name - should they?
What are the costs associated with using the estate sale person - is it an
affordable option? Does everyone want to do that?
Lucy had mentioned wanting to get the lift chair for her Dad - did she get?
Did Mom have any credit card debt?  Has it been paid?

I would love to get details and hear others opinions.  I believe we have
enough individuals to come up with a "majority" on all issues and that the
majority should rule - no one person's opinion.  In order to get that -
everyone will need to take the time to deal with it.

Kathi