[Freelists News] new virus protection implemented

  • From: John Madden <weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:44:38 -0500

===
- The FreeLists Newsletter -
 You're receiving this email because you are subscribed
 to the FreeLists Newsletter, a newsletter sent out to all
 FreeLists list owners.  It contains important updates about
 changes to FreeLists services.  For subscription information,
 please see the bottom of this email.
===

It seems some mail clients (Outlook in particular, I believe) don't
correctly display filenames (ie, "filename.gif.vbs" appears simply as
"filename.gif"), leading users into clicking away to view that .gif, which
turns out to be a VB virus.  There's also some connection here to an
recently-discovered Internet Explorer vulnerability.

To prevent the spread of such easy-to-catch viruses, we now reject emails
with attachments of this nature.  In the windows world, one doesn't
generally give a file two different extensions, so this shouldn't affect
anyone there, and in the Unix world, file extensions are "mostly
irrelevant" anyway.

Example filenames that are blocked:

filename.gif.vbs
filename.doc.pif
filename.jpg.exe
filename.xls.scr

This may also affect, unfortunately, lists that discuss virus prevention
and detection, so for those of you intentionally sending virus-like
entities to a list, you'll have to manually mangle MIME headers and such
to avoid "detection."  If you're not clear what I'm talking about there,
it doesn't apply to you. :)

John

- FreeLists Staff

- List webpage:
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/freelists-news
- Administrative contact:
weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Prima di scrivere in m-list per favore leggi il regolamento
 http://lugge.ziobudda.net/benvenuto.html