[Lugge] [nervous@nervous.it: [linux] buon compleanno linux]

  • From: Massimo Arnaudo <marnaudo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lug Genova <lugge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 18:37:21 +0200

----- Forwarded message from NERvOus <nervous@xxxxxxxxxx> -----

Subject: [linux] buon compleanno linux
From: NERvOus <nervous@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:11:49 +0200
To: linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   Linus in 1991

   From: torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
   Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
   Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
   Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT

   Hello everybody out there using minix -

   I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
   professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
   since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
   things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
   (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
   among other things).
   I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
   This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
   I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
   are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

                  Linus (torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

                  PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a
                  multi-threaded fs.
                  It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it
                  probably never
                  will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's
                  all I have :-(.

--
NERvOus, bofh di fatto (bofh@xxxxxxxxxx || nervous@xxxxxxxxxxx)
PGP Key Fingerprint: B974 3190 9241 8C61 4EEC  4B6A 05CE 1738 1D98 DBEC

BOFH excuse 8566:
 * pseudo-user on a pseudo-terminal

----- End forwarded message -----

--