[Lugge] I: [NewsForge] Novell frees SUSE Professional under new branding

  • From: "vecchiomago@xxxxxx" <vecchiomago@xxxxxx>
  • To: lugge@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 17:15:56 +0100 (GMT+01:00)

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: vecchiomago@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 16:10:03 +0000
A user has sent you the following story from NewsForge:

| Novell frees SUSE Professional under new branding                  |
|   posted by warthawg on Wednesday August 03, @08:44 ()             |
|   http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/08/03/1246236          |

Novell is renaming SUSE Professional and releasing it as 100% open
source. Novell spokesman and director of public relations Bruce Lowry
says his company is "pushing" to make SUSE Linux available to anyone who
wants it. According to sources close to the company, SUSE Professional is
to be rebranded as [0]OpenSUSE. Lowry says Novell is will make SUSE
freely available, starting with the 10.0 beta, at the Linux World
Conference next week. [1]More info here. "We really are focused on
pushing Linux adoption as aggressively as we can, and think opening up
SUSE Linux to users and developers is a good way to do this," he says.
"We're opening up the development process up front." Sources say Novell
hopes its flagship Linux product, SUSE Enterprise, will benefit from
community development.

Lowry did not confirm it, but sources say that Novell will also make the
multi-platform software build system freely available to the community,
so developers can build versions of packages for any hardware they
support. Novell will still sell boxed versions of SUSE with tech support,
but everyone will have access to updates and developmental code.

Links:
    0. http://www.opensuse.org/
    1. http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/08/05/1456242&tid=2

Discuss this story at:
    http://os.newsforge.com/comments.pl?sid=05/08/03/1246236

To opt-out of further emailings:
    http://os.newsforge.com/email.pl?op=optout_form

Copyright 1997-2005 NewsForge.  All rights reserved.

You have received this message because you subscribed to it
on NewsForge.  To stop receiving this and other
messages from NewsForge, or to add more messages
or change your preferences, please go to your user page.

        http://www.newsforge.com/my/messages

You can log in and change your preferences from there.

--- End Message ---