Re: readline support + history in interactive mode

  • From: Coda Highland <chighland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 21:29:57 -0700

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov <mva@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know, that it is rarely repeated request. I also know, that Mike's
> opinion, that interactive mode is not main LuaJIT's goal.
>
> But I very, VERY miss history in interactive mode. And I also use LuaJIT
> instead (not together) of plain Lua, so I unable to use plain Lua for
> interactive mode ;)

It's not just that it's not within LuaJIT's mission; the licensing is
a bit of a problem -- readline is GPL. There are a couple different
wrappers you can use to give readline/linenoise functionality to the
LuaJIT interactive mode, which further makes it unnecessary to include
in the LuaJIT binary. Check out rlwrap or rlfe.

/s/ Adam