Re: luajit 2.0b10 performance extremely brittle?

  • From: Avi Kelman <fiendishx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 09:16:41 -0400

On 06/04/2012 06:44 AM, Mike Pall wrote:
The real problem is that the code and data structures used are
suboptimal. Mostly because it's way too branchy and the recursion
is not deep enough to generate useful traces.
I wish there were a guide on how to write scripts to get the best performance from Lua using LuaJIT. Hopefully someone can add a good one to the wiki.
And that rowminus stuff actually hurts performance.
You say that, but removing it makes execution take almost twice as long on my computer (from 1.77s to 3.0s). I guess it's probably this heuristic problem. :\
Basically, the JIT compiler gives up at a certain point, which depends on the
heuristics. The
timing you get depends on when and where that happens (see -jv).
Is there a guide anywhere on how to interpret/use the output of -jv?

- Avi