[ANN] luaffi 1.0-work1

  • From: James McKaskill <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 19:12:44 -0400

First the basic details:

About - luaffi is an implementation of the ffi API out of luajit for
the standard lua VM
Where - https://github.com/jmckaskill/luaffi I've created a 1.0-work1
tag for this release.
License - MIT
Platforms - Windows, Linux and OS X x86 and x64 with Lua 5.1 or 5.2

Known missing features (these are doable, I just haven't gotten around
to them yet):

- Vectors
- Subtracting pointers
- Calling functions with structs as arguments/return variables
- ARM is currently broken. Its all written I just haven't had time to update it.

Incompatibilities (either impossible to support without modding the VM
or I haven't figured out a way to support them):

- ffi.new('void*', 0) ~= nil - this is impossible to support without
modding the VM. Currently you can test against ffi.C.NULL. I'm
thinking of adding ffi.NULL so that the same code can work with luajit
and luaffi. Comments or a better approach on this one would be
appreciated.

This release:

I'm currently working on getting luaffi API compatible (or as close as
possible) with the current luajit beta. This is an interim release for
others to test to hunt down bits I've missed, bugs, etc. I would
greatly appreciate others to test it against their own FFI code. If
you find any issues or differences from luajit, please either reply to
this or create an issue on github.

The current target is compatibility with the current luajit beta for a
1.0 release in the next month or two.

-- James