Re: any benefit to throwing off lua51 constraints?

  • From: Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:53:53 -0500

On a more substantive note:

 I understand this conversation as one that says, "if we didn't care about
backwards compatibility, then how could LuaJIT go forward in ways that it
otherwise could not?"

I took Mike's response as, "There are broken things in Lua, but these are
not them."

So, it is hard to understand if the reality is that  A) extension isn't
being hampered very much, or B) some extension is hard, but in ways that
Mike thinks wise to keep private, at this time.

I would agree that extension, especially when it does not replace existing
facilities, is... zero calories and awesome and I'd love to see a list.

My perspective is that of someone evangelizing Lua. To someone looking at
options for the first time, it isn't clear on whether it's best to focus on
the new 5.2 or go with the fast, 5.1 based LuaJIT. People on this list
don't think it's much of a choice. But, it's been admitted that
"your mileage may vary" and it's also hard to know which side of "vary"
you're on. It's even harder to know if you ever will be on the "wrong" side
of it. So, you might, "play it safe" and go with Lua. But the lure of speed
and the FFI keep calling you...

It may be my marketing experience talking here, but I observe
that confusion is a killer for adoption, even just a little confusion.

The incompatibilities between C-APIs is a huge PITA that will annoy
developers and lock-in will mean that some libraries only work on LuaJIT.
Lack of _ENV support, or really anything that's in Lua 5.2 that is not in
LuaJIT, makes it exponentially difficult to grow Lua and move it forward.

Because I believe these things (or as Homer said, "This things I
believe...."), I really hold out hope for a reunification, at least on the
language side of things and a return to the open admiration I enjoyed
reading from the email archives.