Re: alleviate the load of the GC

  • From: Coda Highland <chighland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 09:29:56 -0700

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
<javier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 11:11 AM, Laurent Deniau <Laurent.Deniau@xxxxxxx>
wrote:
As I said, to alleviate the GC (not replace it…) by doing local memory
management (sharing/reuse).

excuse me for being dense, but not knowing what's in vogue in C++, i
don't see the connection between object reuse (that i do a lot in
SnabbSwitch) and operator overloading (which i don't use)

Syntactic sugar. Being able to overload = means that you can replace
the normal "leave the current value for the GC to collect, leaving all
other references alone" behavior with "replace the value in the
current object, also modifying all other references."

It IS nothing but sugar, mind you. And as such I actually don't feel
it's a good idea. But I do understand the suggestion.

/s/ Adam