RE: Proper OpenGL dynamic library

  • From: William Adams <william_a_adams@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 01:12:58 +0000

I took a slightly different approach to this problem. I wrote something here:
http://williamaadams.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/dynamic-setting-of-uniform-shader-values/
 My observation was that the hardest part about dealing with OpenGL/OpenCLis
simply typing in all those function signatures. Once you have those, there are
myriad ways to solve the general extensionproblem. I chose to just create a
table with a meta __index function.  whenever the function is not found, it is
looked up, then added to the table for future quick reference. I wanted to use
this mechanism, because as soon as you deal with thegeneral OpenGL extensions,
you'll want to deal with setting and getting uniform values on your shaders.
Rather than inventinganother mechanism for that, I tried to utilize the same
general technique,that is, allowing the __call to look things up, and use
__newindex, __indexappropriately. That technique has worked fairly well for me,
and the code is verycompact, and doesn't require any additional libraries to be
compiled. The part that is platform specific is very small, and can be easily
changed.I only did it for Windows. -- William

- Shaping clay is easier than digging it out of the ground.
http://williamaadams.wordpress.com
https://github.com/Wiladams