Re: Port bitop to 5.3?

  • From: Daurnimator <quae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:44:10 -0400

On 16 March 2015 at 14:29, William Adams <william_a_adams@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > [Actually, this is just one of the many problems of Lua 5.3: as a >
>> > module writer, you can never be certain which number types you can > rely
>> > on. This depends on how Lua was built, which is not under > your control.
>> > IOW: using 3rd party modules is a gamble -- yet > another tombstone for the
>> > Lua ecosystem.] > >> bit.c:83:2: error: #error "Unknown number type, check
>> > LUA_NUMBER_* in luaconf.h" > > Yeah, they ripped out an important define in
>> > Lua 5.3 luaconf.h. > Great job needlessly breaking compatibility, as
>> > always.
>> > my "Lua ecosystem". I left behind plain old Lua a long time ago because
>> > they
>> > didn't adopt a JIT strategy. I don't see any reason to delve back into
>> > those
>> > waters as there's not enough goodness for me and my applications to care
>> > about. I'm happy following along with the evolution of LuaJIT, and whenever
>> > I talk about 'Lua', I mean LuaJIT. So, soldier on man!! There's no time
>> > like
>> > the present to throw off the oppression of the origin platform and keep
>> > extending LuaJIT in ways that make the most sense for a growing number of
>> > consumers. -- William

Your email formatting is off for me.

I'm actually considering dropping luajit support for some of my libraries.
Of particular nuisiance is lack of yielding over pcall and no __gc on
tables (though I emulate it with newproxy just for luajit)
not to mention wanting to take advantage of _ENV and new operators.

When writing new libraries I write against the newest lua 5.3 api and
use compat-5.3 ( https://github.com/keplerproject/lua-compat-5.3 ) to
work everywhere else.

However, I don't like the idea of forking the lua community, there's
already so little that people agree on.
So I put the extra few hours in to ensure luajit works too.