Re: LuaJIT SciMark Intel/ARM comparison

  • From: demetri <demetri.spanos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:11:02 -0700

Slightly tangential riff:

> That's very cool!! (I still don't understand why LuaJIT was taken off the
> language shootout page)
>

> Would it be legal if the shootout benchmarks are pulled, and used also?
> (For what is worth I don't care about Mr. Gouy arguments that ffi was
> used).

I think people (in this case the benchmarks maintainer) misunderstand that
LuaJIT really is a different programming environment from standard Lua.
Many people seem to think of it as "Lua but implemented faster", in the way
that V8 is "Javascript but implemented faster".

I can't speak for the community as a whole, but the code I write with
LuaJIT is very different from the code I write with plain Lua and is highly
influenced by the availability of the FFI. On the one hand, I often find
myself using it as "C data structures with a REPL and scripting
environment". On the other, the ability to use the entire C library
ecosystem so easily makes it almost as "batteries-included" as Python or
Clojure. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but these two factors were what
persuaded me to dump Python entirely for LuaJIT.

To put it another way: I think claiming that LuaJIT should be excluded from
benchmarks because the code is not idiomatic Lua misses the point.
FFI-heavy code *is* idiomatic LuaJIT code, at least for me.

/tangent