Re: Lua_tostring weirdness

  • From: rob <rob.mail@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:50:25 +0200

Im getting there... :) Thank you for explaining this!

Rob

On 08/08/2012 11:07, Josh Simmons wrote:
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Josh Simmons <simmons.44@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM, rob <rob.mail@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Is this meant to work with a -1 stack index (i.e. from top to bottom)?
Because whenever I use lua_isstring or lua_isnoneornil with -1 it seems to
be broken. If I attempt to check the stack using 1, it works fine.

Like Mike mentioned earlier, this is not an acceptable index
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#3.2

You should check the stack height with lua_gettop to check the number
of arguments passed to a function.

Cheers,
Josh.
To elaborate some,

An acceptable index is different for absolute indices and those
relative to the top of the stack. Any positive index less than or
equal to the stack space is deemed acceptable. However in the case of
negative indices only those with an absolute value less than or equal
to the stack top are acceptable.

On top of this valid indices are those acceptable indices where the
absolute value of the index is always under the stack top.

Most functions will work on any acceptable index, though some only
work on valid indices. This is indicated per-function in the Lua
manual.

For example on a stack where the stack space is 21 and the stack top
is 10 the index any positive index up to 21 would be acceptable and
any positive index up to 10 would be valid. 22 would be unacceptable.
Any indices from -10 through -1 would be acceptable (and valid).

Hopefully I haven't fucked that up somewhere. :)

Cheers,
Josh.