Any plans to increase the GC upper limit of LuaJIT on Linux x86_64?

  • From: agentzh <agentzh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 14:48:18 -0700

Hello!

I'm one of the authors of the (nonblocking) nginx lua module [1] and
there's some reports from my users that LuaJIT 2.0 sometimes hits the
1GB upper limit on Linux x86_64 under really heavy web traffic in
production. I know that recompiling everything including LuaJIT and
Nginx to 32-bit can push the limit further to 4GB, but it is painful
and also unacceptable for them because that way the Nginx core will
have a (strict) upper limit as well.

I'm wondering if you have any plans to reduce the hard limit on LuaJIT
2.0 or even 2.1.

Also, there's one interesting report on FreeBSD x86_64 [2] that shared
memory zones created by Nginx's fastcgi modules (and possibly also
others) can make LuaJIT 2.0 panic at the "not enough memory" exception
even when the GC is allocating hundreds of kilobytes of memory. Does
any work-around exist here?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
-agentzh