Re: [ANN]LJIT2Win32

  • From: steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 15:22:13 +0200

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM, William Adams <william_a_adams@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> This repository might be a good place to gather up other things, like I
> currently have a separate project that contains the cryptography APIs, and
> they could probably be merged in here as well, along with some COM work.

Very cool and useful!  A good point, because there are lots of
separate ffi bindings hanging around, mentioned in passing, but having
a page in the wiki to list them would be most useful.

Plus, luarocks will work with LuaJIT fine and so we have that delivery
mechanism available.

The Windows API is vast and sprawling (at least in comparison to
POSIX) and any library designer has to be a sensible curator.

For winapi (which is traditional Lua-style C made manageable by a
preprocessor) I decided to design it around functionalities like
registry access, process management, window manipulation, etc.  And
provide a OOP-like structure so that Windows objects have methods like
send_message and so forth.  I didn't go so far as GDI because many
programs are console scripts, and didn't want to add an extra 100K of
basic GUI stuff to one DLL.  The cool thing about ffi bindings is that
they can be so much more modular.

steve d.