Re: [ANN] GSL Shell 2.2.0 beta1 release

  • From: Francesco Abbate <francesco.bbt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:38:47 +0200

2012/9/12 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hmmm ... on my Linux systems it looks like GSL is bringing in the
> ATLAS BLAS, not OpenBLAS. That's a good thing in my opinion since you
> can tune the ATLAS BLAS to your hardware.
>
> I'll check this out (on Fedora).

I don't know on Fedora but on Linux GSL Shell just links to the system
provided libblas, it doesn't try to look for openblas specifically. On
ubuntu (and I guess on Debian also) the shared library libblas is just
a symbolic link to the actual BLAS library that can be provided by
ATLAS or by OpenBLAS or other. So what library gsl shell use does
actually depends on what package you have installed on your system.

The idea is that it is probably better to trust the system library
instead of trying to be smart and roll off your own version of blas.

On Windows, for the other hand, the OpenBLAS library was specifically
compiled and linked with GSL Shell in the provided binaries.

I hope this better clarifies the point.

Francesco