[lptv] Re: Streaming box...

  • From: "Jon C. Moon" <jonmoon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lptv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 18:46:17 -0500

More cool channel idea stuff while I'm waiting for a basketball game to encode...
Here's an example of video, crawling text from RSS feed, time & logo originating from an Android TV streaming box.
http://www.ridgelinetv.net/onn.html
This is video composited on the box, not from an internet stream.  Videos are playing from internal storage using a free digital signage app.  Note that the crawl looks much better and smoother than this example video shows. The RSS crawl updates every time it loops and is just a text file that is located on my web server (www.ridgelinetv.net/test-rss.xml).  This RSS file can also be stored locally.
Now off to hack some more on a weather project!
Jon C. MoonRidgeline TV Channel 99706-897-0872www.ridgelinetv.net

On Jan 6, 2022, at 2:28 AM, Jon C. Moon <jonmoon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was able to load about 30 music videos on the box (about 2 GB) before it was full.  I didn't delete any of the other channels off the box, so that could free up more space.  There are probably other ONN models with larger storage.  I know there are Android TV boxes made by other manufacturers that not only have more storage space, but allow external hard drives to be attached.
By the way, the Slide Show software can not only do full screen video, but zones like this example:
http://www.ridgelinetv.net/onn.html
I captured this video right off the cheap ONN box.  Zones are completely customizable.  I just took on of their examples and changed it right quick. Here's a screen capture of the layout:

<onn.jpeg>

Jon C. MoonRidgeline TV Channel 99706-897-0872www.ridgelinetv.net
On Jan 5, 2022, at 2:53 AM, Rebecca White <wrlwtv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There is 2GB of RAM and 8GB of internal storage, of which only about half is available to use

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 2:36 AM Rebecca White <wrlwtv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nice
On Tue, Jan 4, 2022, 9:13 PM Jon C. Moon <jonmoon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So I'm always playing around with ideas and technology....
I noticed that Walmart has these really cheap $20 ONN streaming boxes, so I thought I'd try one out.
The impetus of this partly was because I use Larix Broadcaster (free app) on my phone and iPad to do live broadcast streams on my TV station.  I had noticed that there was another free app called Larix Player available for Android TV (what the ONN boxes are).
Firstly, Larix Player is very easy to use...put in the address of a valid stream ( SRT, RTMP/RTMPS, HLS, MPEG-DASH) and it plays out full screen.  Haven't tested outside of my office network or for an extensive time but seems promising as a way to send live streams (sports, parades, etc.) back to your station.  SRT is supposed to improve streaming quality when you're on a wireless or dodgy network so that's something I want to check out further.  Maybe this would even be useful for sending your station stream from point A to point B??  (I have that need myself)
Now to the ONN box itself.  Like most streaming boxes, it's easy to set up, puts out great quality video and is really small.  Not bad for $20 bucks.  An interesting tidbit I noticed is that - at least when I connected my Black Magic Design Video Assist Monitor/Recorder - HDCP did not kick in, so I was able to record anything I streamed.  So at this point I'm assuming the HDMI output would work with broadcast encoders too.
As an after thought, I remembered that some people are using these Android TV-based boxes for digital signage.  Loaded a free app called Slideshow for Android by Milan Fabian.  It is easy to upload files to the box and set up a basic playlist including graphics and video files.
So, how would this $20 box work as a playout device for a simple looping sub-channel??  Interesting question. This could be a still graphics channel with public service announcements, sports schedules, local weather forecasts and advertisements.  Perhaps a way to sell and air real estate listings? How about pictures of cars from your local auto dealer?  Might now make a lot of money, but more than zero!  And if you are doing a graphics only channel, the bit rate would not have to be high, so you could use bandwidth wisely.  Maybe you could get a radio station onboard and use their audio and have them promote your TV station in exchange....just a few ideas...
The software also does a good job playing out video files so there are some options there.. music videos?? Infomercials??  Maybe, just not sure how much storage there is on the box...
Got too many other projects I'm working on right now, but maybe I can dig into this one day!
Jon C. MoonRidgeline TV Channel 99706-897-0872www.ridgelinetv.net

JPEG image